CFB News: College Football Power Rankings As Of 9/29/14
2014 College Football
September 29, 2014
The Line: See the Latest Odds
After a quiet week 5 of the college football season, here are the Top 25 power rankings and how each team stacks up heading into a fun week 6.
1. Oregon Ducks - The Oregon Ducks are still the best team in college football because they have yet to show a weakness and have dominated every team they’ve played. Decent test this week against Arizona awaits.
USA TODAY Sports
2. Alabama Crimson Tide - The upcoming stretch will tell us just how good quarterback Blake Sims truly is. Still, the Alabama Crimson Tide are improving each week and have allowed just 33 combined points in their last three games.
3. Oklahoma Sooners - The Oklahoma Sooners will have chances to move up this list with a tough Big 12 schedule coming up. The Sooners look to have the best defense in the conference.
4. Texas A&M Aggies - The Texas A&M Aggies could have easily quit against the Arkansas Razorbacks but dug deep and found a way to win. All of a sudden the Aggies look like they can win the SEC, and QB Kenny Hill is an absolute stud.
5. Florida State Seminoles - The media continues to eat up the Florida State Seminoles, but they nearly lost to North Carolina State! Back-to-back close games isn’t looking good for FSU, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they lose sooner rather than later.
6. Auburn Tigers - I’m still not a believer in Nick Marshall, but the Auburn Tigers are undefeated and clicking on both sides of the ball like they were last season. We’ll find out just how good Auburn is this weekend against the LSU Tigers.
7. UCLA Bruins - Scoring 62 points on the road with a banged up Brett Hundley is pretty scary. The UCLA Bruins have to be one of the more underrated teams in college football right now.
8. Notre Dame Fighting Irish - The Notre Dame Fighting Irish have allowed no more than 17 points in a single game this season and Everett Golson has scored 15 total touchdowns in four games. A win this week against the Stanford Cardinal will prove that Notre Dame is a legit playoff caliber team.
9. Baylor Bears - A road game this week against the Texas Longhorns will give us a clearer picture of how good the Baylor Bears truly are. Baylor’s offense is averaging 56.8 points per game.
10. Michigan State Spartans - Remember, the Michigan State Spartans only loss this season came against the Oregon Ducks. Since that loss, MSU has outscored its opponents 129-28.
11. Mississippi State Bulldogs - Dak Prescott is ranked 13th in the country in total offense, while the Mississippi State Bulldogs defense has produced 35 tackles for loss. The Bulldogs will have another chance to prove themselves this weekend against the Texas A&M Aggies.
12. Ole Miss Rebels - The Ole Miss Rebels have allowed no more than 15 points in a single game this season and six different players have topped 100 receiving yards. Ole Miss will provide a tough challenge for Alabama this week.
13. Georgia Bulldogs - The Georgia Bulldogs are 13-3 SU when Todd Gurley tops 100 rushing yards. Message here is feed the beast.
14. Stanford Cardinal - The Stanford Cardinal are allowing less than a touchdown per game and Kevin Hogan is completing a ridiculous 71 percent of his passes. Stanford may be able to overcome the early loss to USC if it continues to play this way.
15. BYU Cougars - The BYU Cougars don’t get any national credit, but QB Taysom Hill is a real Heisman threat and their rushing defense is good for 12th in the country. Everybody will stop sleeping on the Cougars eventually.
16. Nebraska Cornhuskers - Ameer Abdullah has topped 200 rushing yards in three of his five games this season and the Cornhuskers defense has 37 tackles for loss. Nebraska can really turn some heads this weekend with a victory over the Michigan State Spartans.
17. Wisconsin Badgers - The Wisconsin Badgers are in the Top 30 in points for and points against, while their only loss this season was a close contest against the LSU Tigers. The Badgers are still one of the better teams in the country but won’t have many chances to prove it with a weak Big Ten schedule.
18. LSU Tigers - If the Mississippi State Bulldogs are for real, we can’t give the LSU Tigers too much garbage for losing a close game against them. LSU can make many people forget about that hiccup with a victory over the Auburn Tigers this week.
19. Ohio State Buckeyes - Don’t look now, but J.T. Barrett has completed better than 70 percent of his passes in each game since the loss to the Virginia Tech Hokies. If that type of performance can continue, the Ohio State Buckeyes are in business.
20. USC Trojans - It’s amazing what a victory over the Oregon State Beavers can do, but I still for the life of me can’t forget that the USC Trojans lost to Boston College. Really? It’s going to take some time before the Trojans move up this list.
21. Oklahoma State Cowboys - A bounce here or there and the Oklahoma State Cowboys would be undefeated with a win over Florida State under their belt. Oklahoma State has scored no less than 40 points in three straight games and are looking more and more like a threat to win the Big 12.
22. Missouri Tigers - I guess we can chalk up the Missouri Tigers loss to Indiana as looking ahead to South Carolina. While it doesn’t remove the sting completely, beating the Gamecocks on the road is mighty impressive.
23. TCU Horned Frogs - The TCU Horned Frogs have outscored their opponents 86-7 in their last two games. The Horned Frogs will give the Oklahoma Sooners all they can handle this week.
24. East Carolina Pirates - It’s going to be tough for the East Carolina Pirates to make any big jumps in the rankings playing in a weak conference. Still, Shane Carden is one of the more underrated players in the country and East Carolina has shown in the first month that it is capable of holding its own against solid competition.
25. Kansas State Wildcats - A 30-point victory over UTEP was a solid way to bounce back for the Kansas State Wildcats. Now Kansas State will begin its tough Big 12 schedule and will have plenty of shots to slide rapidly up this list.