CFB News: College Football Power Rankings As Of 11/10/14
2014 College Football
November 10, 2014
The Line: See the Latest Odds
With 11 weeks of the 2014 college football season in the books, here are how the power rankings shake up.
1. Mississippi State Bulldogs - Some still aren’t convinced in the Mississippi State Bulldogs, but they’re undefeated in college football’s toughest conference. A win this week over Alabama will put all critics to bed.
USA TODAY Sports
2. Oregon Ducks - The Oregon Ducks haven’t lost a game when 100 percent healthy and haven’t even come close to a loss. The Ducks are looking more and more like a championship caliber team.
3. Florida State Seminoles - The Florida State Seminoles have been flirting with disaster for the last month. This week’s game against the Miami Hurricanes will be mighty interesting.
4. TCU Horned Frogs - So much for that Kansas State game being competitive, eh? The TCU Horned Frogs have it going on both offensively and defensively, and Trevone Boykin is a Heisman candidate.
5. Baylor Bears - The Baylor Bears may be screwed out of a playoff spot despite beating TCU. But Bryce Petty and Baylor are rolling right now and absolutely dominated Oklahoma last week as considerable underdogs.
6. Alabama Crimson Tide - The Alabama Crimson Tide needed a little luck last week to beat the LSU Tigers. Beat Mississippi State this week and Alabama will be sitting pretty.
7. Ohio State Buckeyes - Scoring 49 points against one of the better defenses in the country shows the world that the Ohio State Buckeyes are the real deal. However, OSU will need a little help to get in the playoffs due to a weak conference schedule.
8. Arizona State Sun Devils - I still have no idea how the Arizona State Sun Devils lost to the UCLA Bruins earlier in the year. With the way they’re playing right now, Arizona State could go toe-to-toe with any team in the country.
9. Ole Miss Rebels - Remember, both of the Ole Miss Rebels losses were flukey. Ole Miss is still a Top 10 team talent wise and would give any team in the country a run for its money if given a shot.
10. Auburn Tigers - Irony: The team that always won on the most improbable plays ended up losing on the most improbable play. Auburn still has big games against Georgia and Alabama on the schedule.
11. Nebraska Cornhuskers - The Nebraska Cornhuskers could pick up their first big win of the season this week against Wisconsin. Ameer Abdullah remains a top Heisman candidate.
12. Michigan State Spartans - The Michigan State Spartans laid an egg in their two biggest games of the season. Still, MSU would crush all of the teams below it on this list.
13. UCLA Bruins - The UCLA Bruins have quietly won four straight games but remain an afterthought with the success of Arizona State. The Bruins should get a decent bowl game if they can reach 10 wins.
14. Kansas State Wildcats - Speaking of dropping the ball, the Kansas State Wildcats didn’t show up in their loss to TCU. Kansas State can still win the Big 12 but games against West Virginia and Baylor won’t be easy.
15. LSU Tigers - The LSU Tigers held their own against Mississippi State, Alabama and ended up beating Ole Miss. Despite three losses, LSU has shown that it’s a team that isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
16. Clemson Tigers - The Clemson Tigers have one of the top defenses in the country and a passing game that improves each week. A game this week against Georgia Tech will be tricky.
17. Notre Dame Fighting Irish - The Notre Dame Fighting Irish shot itself out of a playoff spot with a lousy loss to Arizona State. All of a sudden that controversial call against FSU doesn’t matter any more.
18. Georgia Bulldogs - With Todd Gurley back, the Georgia Bulldogs can make up for that embarrassing loss to the Florida Gators with a win over the Auburn Tigers this week.
19. Arizona Wildcats - Is there a more underrated player in college football than Anu Solomon, who has four games with at least four touchdown passes?
20. Marshall Thundering Herd - Poor schedule or not, the Marshall Thundering Herd are one of three undefeated teams in the country and deserve to get some love for that accomplishment.
21. Duke Blue Devils - Barring an upset, the Duke Blue Devils will return to the ACC Championship Game for another shot at the Florida State Seminoles.
22. Wisconsin Badgers - Melvin Gordon has 21 total touchdowns and is doing everything he can to make sure the Wisconsin Badgers play for a Big Ten title.
23. Utah Utes - The Utah Utes just can’t catch a break with the constant injuries. Still, Utah is a team that continues to fight and will be a force in the Pac-12 for years to come.
24. Minnesota Golden Gophers - One team to keep an eye on are the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Like Utah, Minnesota isn’t flashy but plays physical on both sides of the ball and is more than capable of pulling off an upset or two.
25. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets end their season against two ranked opponents and can put themselves in position for a solid bowl game by winning both contests.