College Football 2015: C-USA Pre-Season Power Rankings
13. UTSA- UTSA comes into this season returning only 5 starters from last years team. They will have inexperience all over the offense and defense. For that reason I think it will be a rough year especially starting the season out against Arizona, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, and Colorado State.
12. Charlotte-This is Charlotte’s first season in Conference USA. They will have a new quarterback this year. Their offense will rely on their running back Kalif Phillips who ran for 1436 yards. In their first year I feel that Charlotte will struggle in their fist year in C-USA.
USA TODAY Sports
11. North Texas- North Texas is coming off of a 4-8 season. UNT is a run first offense and will rely on Antoinne Jimmersonto carry the offense. The defense will be rebulding this year. They have a rough schedule which wont help them. They have to play Iowa, Tennessee and SMU. I see a low in season coming for North Texas.
10. Old Dominion- The Monarchs had a good first year in C-USA. Unfortunately they lose their starting quarterback, who was the best player on this team. Their defense was bad last year and I don’t see it getting better. After a good first season I think a rough season is coming for Old Dominion.
9.Southern Mississippi- Southern Mississippi finished 3-9 last season. They look to improve this year returning seven starters on offense. They had a bad defense letting up 35 points a game. Their offense should improve but I don’t know if their defense will. I think getting bowl eligible will be a challenge.
8. Florida Atlantic- FAU got roughed up last year only winning 2 games in conference play and only 3 for the whole year. They should improve this year on offense. Their defense lost some of their best players and will struggle because of that.
7. Florida International- FIU will start this season with a freshman quarterback but they have some experience around him so I expect the offense to improve. The defense should be good. FIU’s goal this year will be to get bowl eligible.
6. Middle Tennessee- MTSU is coming off of an average year finishing with a 6-6 record. They will have a tough time getting bowl eligible with playing Alabama, Vanderbilt, and traveling to Western Kentucky and LA Tech. They return 13 starters from last year’s team. Another 6-6 season looks reasonable.
5. UTEP- UTEP improved greatly last year finishing 7-6. The key to their sudden success was their defense stepped up and started playing good. They return a bunch of starters on defense and their offense will continue to run the ball all game. I think UTEP will keep improving with possibly an 8-win season.
4. Rice- Rice is coming off another good year finishing 8-5. They will have a senior quarterback leading the offense. They have an above average defense and could possibly give Louisiana Tech a run for the West division. They have a tough out of conference schedule so I see a 7-5 season for Rice.
3.Louisiana Tech- Won the C-USA West Division last season. Former Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel will take over as their starting quarterback and should excel in this lower level conference. They had a great defense last year and it should be good again this year. Look for Louisiana Tech to win the west division again.
2. Marshall- Like Western Kentucky, Marshall can put points on the board with ease. They have anew quarterback but they have a lot of experience around him to help him out. Their defense has some questions but should fine. As long has their offense can score like last year, Marshall will contend for the C-USA Title.
1. Western Kentucky- Western Kentucky had one of the best offenses in all of football last year. They return 7 starters on their offense so it should remain one of the top offenses. Their problem was their defense last season. They have a lot of players returning so it should be better. Western Kentucky is the favorite to win the Conference.
C-USA Overview- There is no doubt that Western Kentucky is the best team in the conference with their explosive offense. I see Marshall as the only team that could challenge them for the East Division. LA Tech should win the west division and find themselves in the title game. However I think the winner of the East Division will win the Conference Title, most likely Western Kentucky.