College Football 2015: Mountain West Conference Pre-Season Power Rankings
12. UNLV- UNLV had a rough 2014 season winning only 2 games all year. Their schedule looks harder this year opening up against NIU, UCLA, and Michigan. They have a new coach who has never coached a college game before so that might be an issue. They look like they will struggle on offense and defense and another long year for the Rebels.
11. New Mexico- New Mexico rushed for over 300 yards a game last season and will likely do the same this year. Their entire offense is based on the run game and it should be good again this year. The problem again for New Mexico is their defense. They let up to many points per game to be competitive in this conference.
USA TODAY Sports
10. Wyoming- Wyoming only won 2 games last season in conference play. They are a very young team only returning nine starters from last years team. Wyoming will struggle offensively with a new quarterback in charge. The Defense should be solid. I think Wyoming needs another year to rebuild.
9. San Jose State- San Jose returns their quarterback and running back. Their offense should be solid but their defense will be San Jose States biggest challenge. They are very young on the defensive side of the ball and that might hurt them. They also have a tough schedule, which doesn’t help San Jose State.
8. Hawaii- Hawaii only returns 12 starters from last seasons 4-9 team. They have questions at quarterback and wide receivers. Most of their defense is gone from last year, so their defense will struggle this year. I think their schedule is too tough for them this year.
7. Fresno State- Fresno State has a tough schedule having to play Ole Miss, Utah and BYU. The offense was inconsistent last year and they will look to improve that this year. Their defense was rough last year and it doesn’t look like it will get much better either.
6. Nevada- Nevada is losing a lot of pieces from last years team. They are unclear of who will start at quarterback. They only return 5 starters on defense from last years team. I think Nevada will be bowl eligible but that’s about it.
5. Colorado State- They start this season with a new Head Coach in Mike Bobo. They lose their starting quarterback and running back. Their new defensive coordinator Tyson will have to get the defense clicking to make up for the lack of offense. I think this will be a down year for Colorado State.
4. Air Force- Improved tremendously last season winning 10 games. Air Force offense is a run first offense, they averaged 273 rush yards a game last season. They return their top two rushers from last year. They only return 4 starters on defense though. This team will be as good as their defense.
3. Utah State – Utah State is coming off a 10-4 season. They are unsure who will be the starting quarterback but they will have a lot of talent around him. Along with Boise and San Diego St, Utah State was a great defensive team and they will a lot of games this year because of that.
2. San Diego State- San Diego State enters this season as the favorite to win the West Division. They are lead by their running back Donald Pumphrey who ran for 1867 yards and 20 touchdowns last year. He is the main focus of their offense. San Diego had one the best defenses allowing only 19 points a game. They should have another great season.
1. Boise State- The Broncos won the Mountain West Conference last season and even beat Arizona in their bowl game. They return 8 starters on their offense but lose their quarterback and running back. They return a lot of starters on their defense as well. As long as they can replace their quarterback, Boise State will have one of the top offenses and defenses in the nation.
MWC Overview: Boise State is the clear team to beat in this conference. I think that San Diego State and Utah State are the only other teams that could contend for the title. I think the Championship game will be between San Diego St and Boise St with San Diego upsetting them and taking home the trophy.