Fantasy Football News and Updates: 2013 Week 15 Waiver Wire Tight Ends - Replacing Gronkowski
Jason's Fantasy Football Analysis: Week 15 Waiver Wire - Replacing Gronk
December 10, 2013
Waiver Wire Tight Ends: Replacing Gronk
The Fantasy Football World was rocked by a Gronk sized quake this weekend as the Patriots lost arguably the greatest offensive weapon in the NFL today. Now that Gronkowski is no longer going to be able to help fantasy football teams achieve championship glory, what should teams still in the championship chase do to replace him? In a very strange twist of fate, another super star tight end reemerged this weekend, and he, Dennis Pitts, is the player all Gronk owners should target. If Pitta has already been snatched up, here are some other names to consider when looking to replace Gronk.
1. Dennis Pitta - Pitta is by far the best choice to replace Gronk. Pitta was a key piece in the Ravens Super Bowl run last year when he became Flacco's favorite target. Pitta suffered a hip injury before the season started and he looked fully healed in his first game back. The Ravens did not hesitate at all in getting Pitta the ball and Flacco seemed just fine with throwing the rock his way. Pitta received 11 targets for 6 catches that went for 48 yards and one touchdown. The most important number there is his 11 targets, which shows that he should be able to step right in and go back to being Flacco's top target. Gronk was the top target for a 100 million dollar QB, and now his owners can replace him with another TE, Pitta, that is also the top target of a 100 million dollar QB.
Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
2. Charles Clay - Clay has been on a tear over the last two weeks, and he is becoming Tannehill's most trusted target. Clay's ownership is pretty high as he is now a top 10 scoring tight end, and even a top 5 tight end in some leagues. Clay has been great, and he will continue to see targets for the Dolphins. If he is available, he is a great option to replace Gronk.
3. Delanie Walker - Walker has been out of action for two weeks due to a concussion, otherwise, he could possibly be the top option to replace Gronk. Walker's role in the Titan's offense became more prominent once Fitzpatrick took over as the QB. The Titans have not produced the most reliable fantasy starters in recent years, and now there are rumors surrounding the team about an impending house cleaning. WIll this motivate players to play better in order to keep their jobs, or will these rumors cause a Titan meltdown? That is one thing fantasy owners will have to consider if they decided to add Walker to replace Gronk. Walker should be back this weekend, and he has the best matchups of all tight ends over the next two weeks. Walker is playing on an unstable team, but his schedule and potential upside make him a gamble worth taking.
4. Garrett Graham - Graham is sneaky option to replace Gronk. The Texans are still riding a long losing streak, and most of the team looked like they had given up on Thursday night against the Jaguars. However, Keenum and Graham showed a great chemistry as they are two players that are playing hard to show they belong. Graham has seen a drastic increase with his involvement in the Texans passing game as he has been targeted an average of 11.5 times a game over the last four weeks. The biggest reason to keep graham on the waiver wire has been the eventual return of Owen Daniels, but now there seems to be reason to think the Texans will leave Daniels on IR for the rest of their lost season. Any player that is getting over 11 targets a game has the potential for a great fantasy day, and that is why Graham should be considered as a replacement for Gronkowski.
5. Timothy Wright - Wright has not become the most consistent fantasy player this season, but he should at least be mention as a Gronk replacement. Wright has had some good games this year, but he has been targeted at an extremely inconsistent rate. Wright has two very tough matchups coming up, and his inconsistent play makes his a last resort replacement.
6. Andrew Quarless - Quarless is the super deep replacement that might just surprise people but is really too hard to trust this late in the season. As each day passes, it is looking more and more like Aaron Rodgers will not return this year. That means the Packers receivers' fantasy values drop more and more each week. Quarless had a nice game on Sunday as he had 6 catches for 66 yards and touchdown, but there is not enough evidence to believe he will be able to put up those same numbers moving forward. Quarless is another last resort option that could potentially have another good game this year.
For Fantasy Football Updates and Insights follow Jason on Twitter @TheSuperCommish