MLB Power Rankings for the Week of 5/5/2014
Mitch Ranks all 30 Major League Baseball teams as of May 5, 2014
May 5, 2014
Odds To win The World Series See the Latest Odds
One thing we know about Major League Baseball, anything can and will happen not just in every game at every ballpark, but over every week. Big winning streaks and losing streaks have shaken the power rankings but here is where everyone stands this week.
1) Milwaukee Brewers- Even with Ryan Braun out the Brew Crew continue to get it done though they dropped games on Saturday and Sunday in Cincinnati.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Detroit Tigers-The only one who has consistently been able to beat the Tigers this season is Mother Nature as they have been rained out more than anyone and enter the week as the only team still in single digits when it comes to losses.
3) San Francisco Giants-It’s an even numbered year which has meant good things to Giants fans in recent years. They are on a five game winning streak and leas the NL West.
4) Oakland Athletics- The A’s have used their momentum over the last two years to finally get off to the big start where they clearly look like the team to beat in the AL West. It is really just a matter if Oakland can beat the high payrolls in the post season.
5) Colorado Rockies-The Rockies have been home and just hitting the cover off of the ball and even with suspect pitching at times the bats are making up for it.
6) Atlanta Braves-The Braves were so hot earlier this year that despite losing their last six games in a row they still have the sixth best record in baseball and they lead the NL East. Of course the losing will have to stop if they hope to keep those rankings.
7) Los Angeles Dodgers-Most had the Dodgers pegged for first place in the NL West but as you can see by the teams ranked three and four this week it isn’t going to be easy.
8) Washington Nationals-Closed out the weekend with two losses in Philadelphia which was disappointing but in the NL East where everyone is over .500 they are just .5 games back.
9) Texas Rangers-The Rangers have a losing record in their last 10 but this in an extremely dangerous lineup and in a year where less is expected of them, this could be a year they come up big.
10) New York Yankees-The Yankees lead the AL East but they have the lowest winning percentage of any team in baseball. I don’t think it will surprise anyone if the Bronx Bombers make a move for a live arm.
11) New York Mets-The Mets are .500 at home this season, a place where they have struggled in recent years. One of the more under rated pitching staffs in baseball.
12) Baltimore Orioles-The Baltimore Orioles are hanging around but appear to be a cut below some of the other contenders, even those who may have worse records right now.
13) Philadelphia Phillies-The Phillies have Hamels back now and even though he hasn’t really contributed, we have to believe it is just a matter of time and maybe the Phillies get back on the map.
14) Miami Marlins-The marlins seem to be able to hold their opponents down and then get plenty of key hits themselves but it has been extreme highs an extreme lows for this streaky team.
15) Los Angeles Angels-We are seeing somewhat of a changing of the guard in the starting rotation with Richards and Skaggs as key contributors and Pujols looking like he is going to have his best season since moving to the Angels.
16) St. Louis Cardinals-The Cards are at .500 which is way below expectations but it is clear this team just can’t hit.
17) Cincinnati Reds-The Reds have had their share of ups and downs but with the big injuries to the pitching staff and Latos and Chapman due back they might be a team to watch.
18) Minnesota Twins-The Twins are in second place in the AL Central and while pitching will probably keep them from contending there is at least hope after some tough years.
19) Seattle Mariners-The Mariners need to win more of the games they are supposed to win but getting Iwakuma back in the rotation is going to do nothing but help this team.
20) Tampa Bay Rays-It might take Joe Maddon’s best amanging effort of his certain Hall of Fame career to get this team to the post season with the injuries to the pitching staff along with less talent overall than most.
21) Chicago White Sox-The White Sox might be a year away from being in the mix but they are fun to watch with plenty of good bats. They need to get Chris Sale back off of the DL.
22) Boston Red Sox-The Red Sox clearly aren’t the team they were a year ago and they are probably wishing they had Jacoby Ellsbury about right now.
23) Kansas City Royals-If the Royals don’t contend this season it will be a major disappointment after closing out last season string and so many years of building.
24) Toronto Blue Jays-The Jays are just a disappointment after falling flat on their faces last season they look poised to do the same again this year.
25) San Diego Padres-The Padres seem to be better than they have been in recent years but the results on the field don’t tell that story.
26) Cleveland Indians-The Indians were a playoff team last season but there seems to be some soft spots in the starting rotation and while they have the parts of a team that can contend again, they might need to trade some players they really don’t want to part with.
27) Pittsburgh Pirates-One of the most disappointing teams in baseball thus far this season as they have been fast starters in recent years but this year they aren’t hitting and aren’t getting the pitching.
28) Chicago Cubs-While it was encouraging for the Cubs that they took two of three from the Cardinals over the weekend, they are still a few moves and a few years away.
29) Arizona Diamondbacks-Arizona finally got into double digits in the win column but the expectation is simply higher for this team and despite all of the accolades they may have gotten last year or in the off season, if they don’t win soon, a shakeup could be in the offing.
30) Houston Astros-I am not sure what the record is or how low a team has gone in the rebuilding process but the Astros seem to be looking at making a run at those. There is some nice young talent on the Astros but they have some work to do to contend.
Check out Sports Chat Place's New APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More