MLB News: Major League Baseball Power Rankings as of 5/14/14
Mitch Ranks all 30 Major League Baseball teams as of May 14, 2014
Odds To win The World Series See the Latest Odds
Once again we see movement in the rankings as the dust has yet to settle on the start of this year’s MLB season. While there are a few teams whose seasons may be over before we get out of May, they bulk of the teams are right in the mix and it isn’t like we haven’t seen teams come out of the pack in recent years to make runs towards the post season. Here are this week’s rankings:
1) Detroit Tigers- The Tigers are making a run and are trying to put the AL Central away by the All Star break. Personally I think Rick Porcello looks to be finally reaching that potential we have heard so much about over the years and he is the big difference maker.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Milwaukee Brewers- The Brew Crew aren’t just a novelty anymore and they continue to get it done even without Ryan Braun making me believe they are only going to get better when he returns.
3) Oakland A’s-Over the past three years the A’s have gone from a scrappy team with no quit who just hung around to a team that comes out and just beats up their opponents over nine innings. The A’s are just tough customers who are seven games over .500 on the road this season.
4) San Francisco Giants- The Giants seem to get it done every other year and this looks like it might be one of the years they have it together. If Matt Cain can get some wins they are really going to be tough.
5) Colorado Rockies- The Rockies are a ridiculous 13-5 at home and while they are below .500 on the road they have outscored their opponents by 51 runs and at least during the regular season scoring a ton of runs usually helps. Troy Tulowitzki is looking like an early MVP candidate.
6) Atlanta Braves-The Braves went through a period where they lost seven games in a row so we have to wonder if they were just getting out of their system or were they just up against some teams and pitchers that just match up extremely well against them.Despite their issues, the Braves still lead the NL East.
7) Baltimore Orioles-While the AL East has been the best division in baseball for many years the Orioles have the worst record of any of the division leaders. To make matters worse for the O’s they haven’t stacked up well in their series with the Tigers where they haven’t had any answers.
8) Los Angels Dodgers-The Dodgers are just a few games over .500 and with Kershaw back they are getting stronger. We need to remember that the Dodgers got off to a horrible start last season and went on to win the NL West. The would be helped if they could get Billingsley back into the starting rotation.
9) Los Angeles Angels-I know it is too early to be talking Wildcard race but the Angels lead the race in the AL and we are seeing a lot of the things out of them many thought we would have seen the past few seasons.
10) Seattle Mariners-It has been a long time coming for the Mariners as they haven’t been relevant for quite some time but they have a chance to make some noise this year. With Iwakuma back in the rotation they are just getting better and as of right now they are the second Wildcard team in the American League.
11) Washington Nationals-The expectations were sky high for the Nationals and they have made it to the top spot in the NL East, even if their stay was brief when a road trip to Oakland sent them backwards in the standings. The jury is still out as far as I am concerned.
12) Kansas City Royals-There are a bunch of teams at or around .500 right now and the Royals look to be the best of the bunch. If Ventura can start to log some innings and get some more experience he is going to be a force.
13) Toronto Blue Jays-The Jays had a rough weekend against the Angels but outside of that they are only getting better with Reyes healthy and with Mark Buehrle simply putting on a clinic on the mound. There is a lot of pop in the Jays lineup.
14) New York Mets- The Mets have issues in the bullpen or they would easily be several spots higher on this list. The Mets have been respectable at home, something they haven’t been for several years, and they are hitting the ball but if Kyle Farnsworth is the closer they aren’t going anywhere.
15) St. Louis Cardinals- The Cards still have all of the names both on the mound and in the batting order but they bats simply are not producing and while for now they seem content to wait it out, they may need to shake it up but if they do, these guys are post season regulars.
16) New York Yankees-The Yankees are just tough to figure out but they just aren’t getting it done as the pitching staff is coming up short. Perhaps the big surprise is that the Yankees aren’t winning at home going less than .500 in the Bronx.
17) Boston Red Sox- The Red Sox didn’t have a lot of expectations last year and ended up winning it all, this year with expectations, they haven’t been overly impressive looking older by the game. Probably wishing they were getting the production of a healthy Jacoby Ellsbury.
18) Texas Rangers-The Rangers lineup is loaded but so is their division and with troubles in the starting rotation they might be up against it. Matt Harrison leaving against the Astros early wasn’t a good sign and Colby Lewis looks like a shell of his former self.
19) Miami Marlins-The Marlins have been unbelievable at home going17-5 but..they are just 3-15 on the road. I though the Marlins could be one of those teams that hang around and before you know it they are relevant in the post season race but losing Jose Fernandez for the year may have stuck a fork in those plans.
20) Minnesota Twins-The Twins are one of the positive surprises and while they fall into the bottom half of the rankings they don’t back down from anyone. Minnesota’s issues are on the mound as they can hit with anyone.
21) San Diego Padres-The Padres have no quit in them and seem to get it done with smoke and mirrors as they have trouble scoring. A typical night for the Padres happened in Cincinnati on Tuesday where they scored two runs on three hits with the game winner being a home run in the ninth inning off of Aroldis Chapman.
22) Chicago White Sox-The White Sox are fun to watch as they can hit the ball and put runs on the board which means they are never out of it but the thin starting rotation’s issues have only been magnified with Chris Sale on the DL but when he gets back the this team gets a lot better.
23) Cleveland Indians- The Indians were a playoff team last season but they don’t appear to have what it takes to get back this season as they never give up but don’t have the horses primarily in the starting rotation. Salazar seems to be improving over a lousy start but he hasn’t had the same stuff and Masterson isn’t getting wins.
24) Cincinnati Reds-The Reds are going to get better, there is little doubt about that, as Mat Latos looks to be back soon and while Chapman made a mistake on Tuesday, we know when he is on, which he will be, he is as filthy as they come. They are still looking to fill the void left by the departure of Shin-Soo Choo.
25) Philadelphia Phillies-We see some days where they Phillies look like the team who were playoff regulars for all of those seasons and then the next day we’ll see them look like a team brought into to scrimmage against a contender. The Phils are just tough to figure out.
26) Tampa Bay Rays-It is hard to believe the Rays are this low in the rankings but the saving grace for Rays backers is that they are known as starters and if there is any mamanger in the game who can get it done and figure it out in a hurry its Joe Maddon.
27) Pittsburgh Pirates-The Pirates have been fast starters in recent years but not in 2014. Part of the issue here seems to be the loss of A.J. Burnett while another piece is that Francisco Liriano isn’t having one of his better years.
28) Arizona Diamondbacks-The Diamondbacks are only this low on the list because of their overall record but after a terrible start they appear to be putting it together and while they are 10 games out and it seems like a lot, they have a lot of time to get back into the mix and I wouldn’t be shocked if that happened.
29) Chicago Cubs-The Cubs are absolutely horrible and while winning is a building process and that is the tact we are seeing and hearing them take, I don’t see the up and coming stars, I see a lot of the same players who just never emerged like many thought they would.
30) Houston Astros-I am one of the ones who see where the Astros are finally going with things and it looks kind of like the early growing pains of the Oakland A’s. The Astros can move on the base paths and they are competing, they need to learn how to do the things good veteran teams do like put teams away, hold leads, and win when they don’t play their best.
Check out Sports Chat Place's New APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More