MLB News: Major League Baseball Power Rankings as of 5/19/14
Mitch Ranks all 30 Major League Baseball teams as of May 19, 2014
The 2014 MLB Season
More than a quarter of the season is already over for Major League Baseball this year and for some teams we are seeing separation from the pack whole for others, their season is on the brink of being over as far as meaningful games go. Last week we had a huge pack of teams all at .500, this week that isn’t the case and the rankings are better defined.
1) Detroit Tigers- The Tigers have the best record in baseball and are getting it done on the road. Rick Porcello has been the early hero going 7-1 thus far as the third man in the rotation.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Oakland A’s-The A’s are for real this season and are no longer a novelty act or an underdog story. The A’s are legitimate contenders to win it all.
3) San Francisco Giants-The Giants are playing like they took all of the talk about the Dodgers personally. In what looks to be the toughest division so far, the NL West, the Giants lead the pack.
4) Milwaukee Brewers-For the first time this season the Brewers are starting to stumble and it will be interesting to see how they respond to the pack in the NL Central closing the gap.
5) Los Angeles Angels-With Albert Pujols and Mike Trout leading the way the Angels are finally playing up to their potential but the pitching staff deserves a ton of credit as well.
6) Colorado Rockies-The Rockies are simply too tough at home and if they can keep their rod winning percentage within reason they are going to be tough.
7) Atlanta Braves-The Braves have a losing record on the road and they have been spending time their recently as the continue to drop in the rankings and their division lead shrinks.
8) New York Yankees-The Yankees lead the AL East but the division hasn’t played to its’ own high set standards.
9) Washington Nationals-There are big expectations for the Nationals but they don’t seem to be playing up to them at least not yet.
10) Baltimore Orioles-Neck and neck with the Yankees in the AL East but with all of the chances the Orioles have had to take control of the division, they just never rise to the occasion against the better teams.
11) St. Louis Cardinals-The Cards look like they may be getting it into gear which means the Brewers are looking over their shoulders.
12) Kansas City Royals-The Royals are playing well but if they don’t turn it up a notch in a hurry they will be playing for a chance at the Wildcard.
13) Los Angeles Dodgers-The Dodgers have Kershaw back but after he was shelled on Saturday they might be concerned that he might not be 100 percent. This team is still expected to perform at a higher level than they have been.
14) Toronto Blue Jays-The Jays are just a game back in the AL East and I don’t think we have even seen their best yet.
15) Miami Marlins-Even with Fernandez sidelined for the season the Marlins are marching forward and winning, even on the road.
16) Minnesota Twins-I think if you asked the Twins fans before the season if they would take .500 at this point in the season I think most would have taken it.
17) Seattle Mariners-The Mariners lost six in a row this week before winning on Sunday, tht’s the beauty of having a stopper like Felix Hernandez.
18) Texas Rangers-The Rangers clearly have issues with their starting rotation and while we are seeing some signs they are competitive we see more signs saying this isn’t their year.
19) Boston Red Sox-The Red Sox surprised last season but this season they are performing like most expected last year, and that isn’t very good.
20) San Diego Padres-If scoring runs wasn’t the most important thing the Padres would be near the top of baseball as they do a lot of things really well but scoring isn’t one of those.
21) Chicago White Sox-The Sox are missing their best bat, Jose Abreu, and their best pitcher, Chris Sale, so they are moving the wrong way.
22) New York Mets-The Mets have struggled over the past week but they are still within striking distance in the NL East.
23) Philadelphia Phillies-The Phils have to thrilled with the way Cole Hamels pitched in his last start and they might be thinking differently about their season.
24) Cincinnati Reds-The Reds are getting healthy and they are close enough to still make a move but they can’t make a ton of mistakes or their season will be over.
25) Cleveland Indians-The Indians don’t look anything like the team that made the playoffs a year ago as the starting pitching just hasn’t held up.
26) Tampa Bay Rays-The Rays just look depleted and deflated but we have seen them make far too many runs over the yers to count them out now.
27) Pittsburgh Pirates-The Pirates aren’t playing all that bad but if they plan on making a move they may need an extra arm and another bat.
28) Arizona Diamondbacks-The D-Backs are still trying to recover from the bad start and while it was just a game, laying the big number on Kershaw and the Dodgers on Saturday gave them something to cheer about.
29) Houston Astros-For a team with an overall record so poor, the Astros seem to give most team fits in both wins and losses.
30) Chicago Cubs-The wheels are off the cart on the North Side as the Cubs are playing for a different year that isn’t this one.
Check out Sports Chat Place's New APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More