MLB News: Major League Baseball Power Rankings as of 6/9/14
Mitch Ranks all 30 Major League Baseball teams as of June 9, 2014
As of Monday June 9, 2014
Get the Latest Odds to Win the World Series See the Latest Odds
As the old saying goes, “The Cream Will Rise To The Top”, and we are seeing that in Major League Baseball this season. While the battles are shaping up already for the post season, we are also seeing the teams who have been rebuilding being a lot more competitive and ready to make that next move. Here are this week’s rankings:
1) San Francisco Giants – The Giants won their last five gams to close out the week and with Matt Cain back in the rotation they are still getting better.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Oakland A’s – The A’s have been on the road the bulk of the week but that hasn’t helped the teams chasing the in the AL West as they have won seven of their last 10.
3) Toronto Blue Jays – The Jays closed out the week losing their final two games but they also have a 5.5 game lead in the AL East.
4) Milwaukee Brewers – Probably the most doubted of all of the division leaders and while many are waiting for them to stumble they keep on winning.
5) Detroit Tigers – The Tigers are in position to put away the AL Central early but they haven’t been able to do it making me winder if they can or will.
6) Los Angeles Angels – The Angels control the Wildcard in the American league but they have their sights set higher.
7) Seattle Mariners – With Iwakuma back off of the DL and King Felix having a monster year the Mariners are a real threat.
8) Washington Nationals – Here come the Nats and maybe the high expectations weren’t too high as they are tied for the lead in the NL East.
9) Atlanta Braves – We never know on a game-to-game basis which Braves team is going to show up.
10) Miami Marlins – The Marlins end the week one one-hundredth of a percent behind the leaders in the NL East with one more win and one more loss than both of them.
11) St. Louis Cardinals – The Cards continue to chase the Brewers and while they won two of three in Toronto they are still just 4-6 in their last 10.
12) Cleveland Indians – The Indians have gone from last place to second place in the AL Central going 8-2 in their last 10 games.
13) Los Angeles Dodgers – The Dodgers came from way back last season but they are 10 games behind the red hot Giants.
14) Baltimore Orioles – The O’s are looking to make it three winning seasons in a row but they missed the post season last year.
15) New York Yankees – The Yankees are looking like a tired team and under manned on the mound as they are 3-7 in their last 10.
16) Kansas City Royals – Took two of three from the Yankees but still falling short of where they wanted to be this season.
17) Texas Rangers – The Rangers have longest list of injuries in baseball and are having their worst season in years, not a coincidence.
18) Chicago White Sox – The Sox were swept in LA by the Angels but the worst of it was Chris Sale blowing a five run lead late, how fast can they forget it?
19) Cincinnati Reds – Apparently Mat Latos is ready to return but they Reds are holding him back; if they wait too long it could come back to bite them.
20) Minnesota Twins – The Twins can bang the ball with anyone but they are going to need more pitching to get back to being a contender.
21) Pittsburgh Pirates – The Pirates started slow this season but they appear to have it turned around and have time to get back into it.
22) Colorado Rockies – The Rockies are just 1-9 in their last 10 games that means they are losing games at home.
23) New York Mets – The Mets are getting tough to figure out but when Dillon Gee gets back he will make the while pitching staff better.
24) San Diego Padres – The Padres are just a few bats short as on any given night they can beat anyone but they can’t beat anyone consistently.
25) Boston Red Sox – The Red Sox just don’t look like the team that won the World Series a year ago and next year the faces will make them look even less like that team.
26) Houston Astros – No one in the AL West are excited to be facing the Astros anymore because this team is scrappy and tough.
27) Arizona Diamondbacks – Arizona plays hard every night but the bad start had them out of it before the season even got going.
28) Chicago Cubs – The Cubs are starting to play better as Hammel has led the pitching staff and the young bats are hitting.
29) Philadelphia Phillies – The Phillies are aging and the youth coming up isn’t enough to make this team competitive.
30) Tampa Bay Rays – I can only guess but I wouldn’t think the Casual fan realizes just how lousy the Rays are this season.