MLB News: Major League Baseball Power Rankings as of 6/23/14
Mitch Ranks all 30 Major League Baseball teams as of June 23, 2014
As of Monday June 23, 2014
Get All Of The latest Odds to win it all See the Latest Odds
It’s almost hard to believe that sometime this week each MLB team will reach the halfway point for the season With the World Cup stealing some of the spotlight the past week or so we have seen some of the division leaders fall back t the back and we have seen some teams make a run for what looks to be an exciting playoff drive. I can safely say that baseball is going to be able to keep our attention until the fall. Here is how the 30 MLB teams stack up this week:
1) Oakland A’s – From what I have heard the A’s aren’t just playing the numbers this day, heart and guts are part of the formula and they appear to have taken the Athletics to the next level.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Milwaukee Brewers – The Odds makers don’t love the Brew Crew but the backers at the betting window do getting the team with the second best record on the cheap on a regular basis.
3) San Francisco Giants – The bad news is the Giants hit the skids bad; the good news is SF had such a big lead they are still in the lead in the NL West.
4) Detroit Tigers – The Tigers did what they had to do this week, they went into Cleveland and made a statement against the Tribe.
5) Los Angeles Angels – The Angels swept the Rangers this past weekend, just one of the many demons they have exorcised this season.
6) Toronto Blue Jays – The Jays played one of the most exciting interleague games of the year beating the Reds, but they lost their next two.
7) St. Louis Cardinals – The Cardinals have been relentlessly chasing the Brewers but with Wacha and Garcia both with elbow problems they might be in some trouble.
8) Los Angeles Dodgers – Here come the Dodgers, just four games behind the Giants and they still don’t have a winning home record.
9) Washington Nationals – The Nats got it done head to head against the Braves and for their troubles they get the lead in the NL East.
10) Baltimore Orioles – The same record as the Yankees but I rank them ahead since they won two of three in the Bronx this weekend including beating Tanaka.
11) New York Yankees – A nice West Coast swing for the Yankees and just like that they are back in the mix for the post season.
12) Seattle Mariners – The M’s went onto K.C. and swept what was a red hot Royals team and Seattle is quietly hanging around.
13) Kansas City Royals – The Royals won 10 games in a row to take the lead in the AL Central but promptly lost their next four to drop back into second place.
14) Atlanta Braves – The Braves took it on the chin in Washington and there has to be some concern if their starting pitching is good enough.
15) Cincinnati Reds – The Reds have been on my list of teams to watch and they are healthy now and they are playing their best baseball of the season.
16) Pittsburgh Pirates – the Pirates have worked their way back to a game under .500 but there are still question marks in the starting rotation.
17) Miami Marlins – For the first time this season the Marlins are regressing, something that most though would happen a month ago so they probably aren’t done yet.
18) Cleveland Indians – The Indians were one of the hotter teams in baseball two weeks ago, this weekend they were swept at home by the Tigers.
19) Minnesota Twins – The Twins swept the White Sox and while they aren’t ready to compete for the post season, they are much better than they have been in recent years.
20) Texas Rangers – Ron Washington has been forced to get it done with the longest list of players on the DL of anyone and it has been a real test.
21) Boston Red Sox – The Red Sox just don’t have enough this year but I give them the nod over the teams they are tied with record wise because of Sunday’s win in Oakland.
22) Chicago White Sox – The White Sox are just horrible on the road again this season and this week it was a lot of road games which explains their drop.
23) New York Mets – The Mets are better on the road than they are at home but they have a losing record for both so far this season.
24) Philadelphia Phillies – The Phillies are an aging team with big contracts, something they can only hope to start to fix at the trade deadline.
25) Colorado Rockies – The Rockies are one of the streakier teams around and right now it isn’t a good one as they have lost sox games in a row.
26) Houston Astros – The Astros had a nice run a few weeks back but as of late it looks a lot like we have seen over the past several seasons.
27) Chicago Cubs – I live in Chicago and I will tell you there is no way I would pay those ticket prices for what the Cubs are putting on the field.
28) San Diego Padres – If pitching was the only thing that counted the Padres would be in a lot better shape but they can’t score runs.
29) Arizona Diamondbacks – It isn’t just the bad start that is holding the D-backs down, it is their lousy play that is.
30) Tampa Bay Rays – The Rays ended the week winning their last two and at 11 games back and the games’ worst record, it is still tough to count Tampa Bay out.