MLB News: AL Post-Season Standings and Wildcard Standings as of 8/25/14
Mitch looks at the post-season playoff standings and power rankings as of August 25, 2014.
MLB Baseball: American League Standings
Get the Latest Odds to Win the World Series See the Latest Odds
With less than 35 games left to play in the regular season for all 30 MLB teams there is still plenty to be decided as far as who will be playing in the post season. Here is the latest on how the American League stacks up:
1) Los Angeles Angels – The Angels have the lead in the AL West but it is a slim one game lead over Oakland. They also have the best record in baseball.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Baltimore Orioles – The Orioles appear to have saved their best for the last quarter of the season as they have extended their lead to six games in the AL East.
3) Kansas City Royals – The Royals just missed the playoffs last year but they have a two game lead over the Tigers in the AL Central.
4) Oakland A’s – The A’s are a game out in the AL West and are 6 games clear if the chasers for the Wildcard spot.
5) Seattle Mariners – The Mariners are in if the season ended today but their work appears to be far from done.
6) Detroit Tigers (1 game back) – The Tigers could go from a big lead in the division to all the way out with three Cy Young Award winners in the starting rotation and the reigning MVP.
7) New York Yankees (3.5 games back) – The Yankees would love to send Derek Jeter out a winner but it isn’t looking likely.
8) Cleveland Indians (5 games back) – I don’t see the Indians repeating last years miracle finish to put them in.
9) Toronto Blue Jays (5.5 games back) – Just a few months back the Jays looked like a lock to be in, now they look like a lock to be out.
10) Tampa Bay Rays (7.5 games back) – Some may say the Rays checked out too early as they are still competitive.
11) Chicago White Sox (12.5 games back) – Starting pitching and the bullpen will be big ares the Sox will be addressing this offseason.
12) Minnesota Twins (13.5 games back) – The Twins need a lot of help in a lot of areas but they can still swing the bat.
13) Boston Red Sox (15.5 games back) – It is amazing to me that the team that wouldn’t quit last year looks like quitters this year.
14) Houston Astros (17 games back) – If the Astros finished here it would be one of the biggest improvements of any team.
15) Texas Rangers (21 games back)– Injuries took their toll on the Rangers this season and we could see big value on them next season.
Check out Sports Chat Place's New APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More