Top Ten NFL Single-Game Receiving Yards Leaders
See Info About the Top Ten Single-Game NFL Receiving Yard Leaders
2014 NFL Off-Season
Continuing what has inadvertently become this week’s theme, today’s top ten list features the players who’ve had the most single-game receiving yards in NFL history. You’ll see a couple of repeat names…and maybe a couple you’ve never heard before too. I know I’m not overly familiar with Cloyce Box and Jim Benton. Oops.
1. Flipper Anderson, who spent the majority of his 9 year NFL career with the Los Angeles Rams, had 336 receiving yards when his team took on the New Orleans Saints on November 26,1989.
USA TODAY Sports
2. I’m pretty sure we all remember this game. It hasn’t even been a year. On October 27, 2013, the Detroit Lions’ Calvin Johnson had 329 against the Dallas Cowboys.
3. Stephone Paige, who played his whole 9 year career with the Kansas City Chiefs, had 309 receiving yards in a match-up against the San Diego Chargers on December 22, 1985.
4. Jim Benton played professional football from 1938-1947. During Benton’s time with the Cleveland Rams (who knew?), he racked-up 303 yards against the Detroit Lions on November 22, 1945.
5. Cloyce Box spent 5 years playing professional football for the Detroit Lions between 1949 and 1954. On December 3, 1950, Box had 302 receiving yards against the pre-Johnny Unitas Baltimore Colts.
6.Jimmy Smith spent 11 years of his 12 year NFL career with the Jacksonville Jaguars. On September 10, 2000, Smith amassed 291 receiving yards in a game against the Baltimore Ravens.
7. It shouldn’t be a surprise to see Jerry Rice's name on this list. When Rice’s San Francisco 49ers took on the Minnesota Vikings on December 18, 1995, No. 80 had 289 yards.
8. Just a few years before Rice’s big game, on December 11, 1989, fellow San Francisco 49er John Taylor had 286 receiving yards in a clash against then interstate rivals, the Los Angeles Rams.
9. The Niners just know how to pick ‘em. During Terrell Owens's stint with the squad, he had 283 receiving yards against the Chicago Bears. Owens’s huge game took place on December 17, 2000.
10. Nike Andre Johnson, Houston Texans’ wideout extraordinaire (and holdout no longer, thankfully for them) had 273 receiving yards in a November 18, 2012 game against his division rival Jacksonville Jaguars.