Top Ten Most Conference Championships (By NFL Team)
Learn About the NFL Teams With the Highest Numbers of Conference Titles
2014 NFL Off-Season
Earlier this week, we took a look at the NFL teams that have had the most play-off appearances in history. Today, we’re going to take it one step further and break down the franchises that have taken home the most conference championships during the Super Bowl era. Right off the bat, you’ll see 3 of the league’s most famous dynasties. No surprises here this morning.
USA TODAY Sports
1. The Pittsburgh Steelers have won 8 AFC championships, 6 of which have translated to Super Bowl wins.
2. The Dallas Cowboys also have 8 conference championships, though theirs, of course, were all in the NFC. The ‘Boys have 5 Super Bowl wins.
3. The New England Patriots have won the AFC a grand total of 7 times. They’ve managed to turn 3 of these titles into Super Bowl wins.
(3*) 4. The Denver Broncos also have 7 AFC championships through the years. Only 2 of these (sorry for the reminder, Broncs fans) have translated to Super Bowl victories.
5. The San Francisco 49ers have won the NFC 6 times. An impressive 5 of those times, they’ve gone on to win the Super Bowl.
6. You’re going to be sick of the number 5 by the time we’re done today. Fair warning. The New York Giants have 5 NFC championships in their lengthy history. They’ve ultimately won the Super Bowl on 4 of those occasions.
(6*) 7. The Green Bay Packers (I warned you) have 5 NFC championships since 1921. They’ve turned 4 of those titles into Super Bowl victories.
(6*) 8. The Washington Redskins also have 5 NFC championships under their belt. 3 of those years, they’ve gone on to win the Super Bowl.
(6*) 9. The Oakland Raiders have won 5 AFC championships since 1960. On 3 occasions, they’ve become Super Bowl champions.
(6*) 10. The Miami Dolphins have followed-up 2 of their 5 AFC championships with Super Bowl victories, including 1 after the 1972 season. You know why it matters.