Top Ten Most Single Game Passing Yards (By NFL Quarterback)
See If One of Your NFL Team's QBs Made Today's List
2014 NFL Season
Peyton Manning was a personal record setting machine yesterday against the (now defeated) Arizona Cardinals. Among No. 18’s achievements was throwing 479 yards in a game, a new career best. It wasn’t quite enough, though, to get Manning on today’s list of the top ten most yards thrown in a single game in NFL history.
USA TODAY Sports
1. In 1951, Los Angeles Rams QB Norm Van Brocklin had one of the best games of all-time. Hall of Famer Van Brocklin threw for 554 yards against the New York Yanks, a record that has yet to be broken.
2. Houston Oilers QB Warren Moon tried his best to overtake Van Brocklin, throwing for 527 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs on December 16, 1990.
(2*) 3. Ironically, the next QB to nearly shatter Van Brocklin’s record also played in Houston. Texans QB Matt Schaub tied Moon’s 527 yards on November 18, 2012. What are the odds?
4. Boomer Esiason was quarterbacking the Arizona Cardinals when he threw for 522 yards against the Washington Redskins on November 10, 1996.
5. During my very first football season (I wasn’t quite three months old), on October 23, 1988, the Miami Dolphins’ Dan Marino threw for 521 yards against the New York Jets.
6. On January 1, 2012, the Detroit Lions’ Matthew Stafford threw for 520 yards in a play-off contest against his NFC North rivals, the Green Bay Packers.
7. Tom Brady (who also had a stellar night last night, surpassing 50,000 career passing yards) threw for 517 against the Miami Dolphins on September 12, 2011.
8. When Phil Simms was playing for the New York Giants, he threw for 513 yards against the Cincinnati Bengals. The game took place on October 13, 1985.
9. Current New York Giants great, Eli Manning, threw for 510 yards against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on September 16, 2012 (apparently an excellent year for passing throughout the league.)
(9*) 10. Drew Brees, whose New Orleans Saints are off to one of their worst starts in recent memory this year, threw for 510 yards against the Cincinnati Bengals on November 19, 2006. Better days in the Big Easy.