NFL News: NFL Power Rankings For Week 6 As Of 10/7/14
NFL Power Rankings
October 7, 2014
The Line: See the Latest Odds
With week 5 of the NFL season in the books, let’s take a look at the power rankings heading into an intriguing week 6.
1. Seattle Seahawks - Get used to seeing the Seattle Seahawks in this spot, as they’re easily the best team in the NFL and aren’t even playing at 100 percent yet.
USA TODAY Sports
2. Denver Broncos - The Denver Broncos had the most impressive win of the week over the Arizona Cardinals. The Broncos are 21-2 SU in the reg season when Peyton Manning throws three or more touchdowns.
3. Indianapolis Colts - The Indianapolis Colts beat a pretty good Baltimore Ravens team, and Andrew Luck leads the league with 1,617 passing yards.
4. San Diego Chargers - While Philip Rivers and the San Diego Chargers offense will get most of the credit, the Chargers defense has allowed 14 or less points in three straight weeks.
5. Dallas Cowboys - Sorry, but the Dallas Cowboys are starting to grow on me and seem to be playing with a chip on their shoulder. Also, that Dallas defense that was supposed to be an issue has allowed 17 or less points in three of its last four games.
6. Cincinnati Bengals - I can’t penalize the Cincinnati Bengals too much for their loss to the New England Patriots, as they’re the better team but just didn’t bring the same energy. A matchup against the Carolina Panthers this week will tell us a lot.
7. Philadelphia Eagles - LeSean McCoy has yet to have a 100-yard game and has fumbled twice in his last three games. Still, the Philadelphia Eagles are sitting pretty with just one loss.
8. Green Bay Packers - Hey, Green Bay Packers fans, how is 80 combined points in the last two games? Safe to say the Packers are back.
9. New England Patriots - The New England Patriots simply beat down a Super Bowl contender in the Cincinnati Bengals. Only time will tell if Tom Brady and company can keep it up.
10. Baltimore Ravens - The Baltimore Ravens have lost two games to two of the better teams in the AFC (Cincinnati and Indianapolis) by seven points each. The Ravens are an above-average team despite two losses.
11. Arizona Cardinals - For three quarters, the Arizona Cardinals went toe-to-toe with the Denver Broncos. The Arizona Cardinals should make playoffs this season and are a dangerous team moving forward.
12. Detroit Lions - How in the hell do you lose to the Buffalo Bills at home? Oh, you kicker misses three field goals. Doh!
13. San Francisco 49ers - Back-to-back wins can do a lot to silence the critics, however, a matchup in a couple of weeks against the Denver Broncos will show us if the San Francisco 49ers are for real.
14. Carolina Panthers - The Carolina Panthers look nothing like the team from a season ago, but a comeback win over the Chicago Bears has to count for something. Cam Newton is slowly getting his rhythm and will need to be ready for a date against the Cincinnati Bengals.
15. New Orleans Saints - The New Orleans Saints have one of the worst defenses in the NFL and nearly lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers at home. A bye week couldn’t have come at a better time for the Saints.
16. Kansas City Chiefs - In the last three weeks, the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots and lost to the San Francisco 49ers by just five points. Not bad, let’s see if KC can keep it up.
17. Chicago Bears - The Chicago Bears have lost four of their last five games when Jay Cutler throws two or more interceptions, including three this season. Here we go again.
18. Atlanta Falcons - The Atlanta Falcons are 0-3 on the road this season. With Baltimore, Green Bay, Carolina and New Orleans still on the schedule, the Falcons may not win a road game all season.
19. Cleveland Browns - The Cleveland Browns are slowly starting to change their losing culture and coming back down 28-3 to the Tennessee Titans was a monumental victory for this franchise.
20. New York Giants - Don’t look now but the New York Giants have won three straight and Eli Manning has thrown just one interception during this stretch. A game this week against the Philadelphia Eagles is huge to see where this team’s at.
21. Buffalo Bills - Somehow the Buffalo Bills beat the Detroit Lions on the road. I’m still not a believer in a Buffalo offense that has scored 17 or less points in three straight games.
22. Miami Dolphins - The Miami Dolphins begin a tough back-to-back slate against the Green Bay Packers and Chicago Bears. This will either make or break the Dolphins season.
23. Pittsburgh Steelers - The Pittsburgh Steelers lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and barely beat the Jacksonville Jaguars. If this keeps up, the Steelers will lose to the Cleveland Browns this week.
24. Houston Texans - The Houston Texans are still in first place in the AFC South, but with a struggling passing game and a shaky defense that’s likely going to change.
25. New York Jets - Life doesn’t get any easier for the New York Jets who now play the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots. If only Michael Vick was actually given a fair shot to lead the Jets offense…
26. St. Louis Rams - Despite a 1-3 record, the St. Louis Rams lost to both the Philadelphia Eagles and Dallas Cowboys by one possession. It’ll be interesting to see if the Rams can hang with the San Francisco 49ers this Monday night.
27. Washington Redskins - The Washington Redskins were competitive against the Seattle Seahawks but moral victories don’t count in this league. The Washington Redskins have lost 11 straight when being held to 24 or less points.
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and nearly topped that upset with a win over the New Orleans Saints. The Bucs are quickly becoming a team contenders can no longer write off.
29. Minnesota Vikings - Hopefully rookie Teddy Bridgewater returns this week to give Minnesota fans something to be happy about, as last week was down right brutal.
30. Jacksonville Jaguars - Blake Bortles has thrown two interceptions in all three of his games this season. At least there’s consistency here.
31. Tennessee Titans - The Tennessee Titans allowed the Cleveland Browns to come back down 25 points. The Titans are lucky they’re not one spot lower on these power rankings.
32. Oakland Raiders - The Oakland Raiders have not won a regular season game since mid-November of last season. I’m wondering if the Raiders somehow lost during last week’s bye.