Top Ten Single Game Passing Yards Leaders in the NFL (As of 2014)
Which NFL Quarterbacks Have Thrown The Most Single Game Passing Yards?
2014 NFL Season
Yesterday (and by that, I mean Sunday...this was supposed to go up yesterday, but the site got a snazzy update instead!) was a tough one around these parts. Ouch. I’ll try to be objective, though, and give credit where credit’s due. Ben Roethlisberger had a heck of a game; record setting, in fact. Even though I’m wallowing in my grief over here, today we’re going to look at the elite club Big Ben is now part of. Below, you’ll find a list of the top ten most yards ever thrown in NFL games.
USA TODAY Sports
1. Norm Van Brocklin’s all-time record from 1951 still stands. Van Brocklin threw for 554 yards when his Los Angeles Rams took on the New York Yanks.
2. The Houston Oilers’ Warren Moon threw for 527 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs in 1990.
(2*) 3. Matt Schaub, playing for the Houston Texans at the time, also threw for 527 yards in a single game. Schaub’s success came against the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2012.
4. The Arizona Cardinals’ Boomer Esiason racked-up 522 passing yards against the Washington Redskins in 1996.
(4*) 5. The Pittsburgh Steelers’ Ben Roethlisberger’s name was added to this list yesterday when he passed for 522 yards (and threw 6 TD passes) against the Indianapolis Colts. Excuse me for being a basic white girl, but I can’t even.
6. Dan Marino threw for 521 yards when his Miami Dolphins played the New York Jets in 1988.
7. The Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford (who put together one awesome game-winning drive yesterday in London Town) passed for 520 yards against the Green Bay Packers during a 2012 play-off game.
8. Tom Brady threw for 517 yards when his New England Patriots battled the Miami Dolphins in 2011.
9. The New York Giants’ Phil Sims had 513 passing yards against the Cincinnati Bengals during the 1985 NFL season.
10. We’ll round-out today’s list with two more active players. The New Orleans Saints’ (who are now sitting just two games below .500) Drew Brees passed for 510 yards against the Cincinnati Bengals in 2006.
(10*) 11. And last, but not least, the New York Giants’ Eli Manning also put-up 510 passing yards when his club took on the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2012.