Top Ten Winningest Coaches in NFL Postseason History
Which NFL Head Coaches Have Won the Most Playoff Games?
2014 NFL Postseason
With just a little over 72 hours to go until we find out which NFL teams will be advancing to Super Bowl XLIX, I thought it would be appropriate to turn our attention to coaches today. Coaches’ preparation plays a big role in whether or not teams win these tough games, but some are just better under pressure than others. This morning, we’re going to take a look at the coaches who have the top ten most wins in NFL postseason history. You won’t be surprised by the guys who share the No. 1 spot. Guarantee it.
USA TODAY Sports
1. With last week’s miracle win over the Baltimore Ravens, New England Patriots head coach Bill Belichick won his 20th postseason match-up. Belichick has been a head coach in 29 playoff contests, including one season with the Cleveland Browns, losing just 9 games.
(1*) 2. Legendary Dallas Cowboys coach Tom Landry also won 20 postseason games during his impressive career. Landry was on the sidelines for 36 playoff match-ups.
3. Don Shula, who coached the Baltimore Colts and the Miami Dolphins in a total of 36 playoff games, had 19 wins during his career.
4. Joe Gibbs, longtime head coach of the Washington Redskins, led his team to 24 postseason games. Gibbs racked-up a total of 17 wins.
5. Head coach Chuck Noll led his Pittsburgh Steelers to 24 playoff games over the course of his NFL tenure. The club won 17 of those match-ups.
6. Mike Holmgren, who was head coach of both the Green Bay Packers and the Seattle Seahawks, went to a total of 24 postseason games and won 13 of them.
7. Tom Coughlin, who has spent his head coaching career with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the New York Giants, has been to 19 playoff games and has earned 12 wins.
(7*) 8. Bill Cowher, former head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, was on the sidelines during 21 postseason match-ups, winning 12 of them.
9. Marv Levy, who spent his whole head coaching career with the Buffalo Bills, went to 19 playoff games and earned 11 Ws.
(9*) 10. Head coach Bill Parcells led the New York Giants, the New England Patriots, and the New York Jets to playoff berths at different points during his long career. In 19 postseason appearances, Parcells had 11 wins.
(9*) 11. Dan Reeves, who went to the playoffs as the head coach of the Denver Broncos, the New York Giants, and the Atlanta Falcons, saw 20 postseason appearances and 11 wins.