Top Ten Most NFC Championship Game Appearances By Team
Which Teams Have Gone to the Most NFC Title Games?
2014 NFL Postseason
As promised on Friday, today we’re going to take a look at the NFC teams that have made the most championship game appearances over the course of NFL history. I’m still reeling a little from last night’s loss (though, admittedly, Packers Nation has it even worse), but it was still a thrilling championship Sunday. Here’s to XLIX! On the bright side, I don’t have to worry about tracking down a hotel in Phoenix the first weekend of February.
1. The San Francisco 49ers have appeared in 15 NFC Championship games, winning 6 of them. Their winning percentage is .400 on the nose.
2. The Dallas Cowboys have made 14 NFC Championship appearances with 8 wins. The ‘Boys sit just above .500, with a .571 winning percentage.
3. The St. Louis Rams have appeared in 9 NFC Championships, winning only 3 of them. This has led to a rather dismal .333 winning percentage.
4. The Minnesota Vikings haven’t fared much better than the Rams, appearing in 8 NFC title games and winning just 3. They sit at a .375 winning percentage. Maybe that new stadium will light a fire under them.
5. The Washington Redskins have had 6 NFC Championship game showings, losing in just 1 contest. The ‘Skins enjoy a .833 winning percentage. Granted, it’s been awhile since they had a shot at going to the biggest game in sports…
(5*) 6. The Philadelphia Eagles have also gone to 6 NFC Championships, but they’ve only taken home the title on 2 occasions, leaving them with a .333 winning percentage.
(5*) 7. After yesterday’s painful loss, the Green Bay Packers have been to 6 NFC Championships, going exactly .500 in them.
8. The New York Giants have gone to 5 NFC title match-ups, winning every single one of them. That’s a 1.000 winning percentage, folks. Pretty impressive.
(8*) 9. The Chicago Bears have also appeared in 5 NFC Championships, winning 2 of the contests (and just one Super Bowl). Their winning percentage is .400.
10. The Seattle Seahawks join the New York Football Giants with a 1.000 record in NFC title match-ups. Yesterday, the ‘Hawks won number 3.
(11*) 10. We’re lumping these final teams together today, since they all share the same record. The New Orleans Saints, the Atlanta Falcons, the Arizona Cardinals, the Carolina Panthers, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have all gone to 3 NFC Championship games, winning 1 each. All 5 teams have .333 winning percentages.