Top Ten Most Pass Attempts in NFL Super Bowls
Which QBs Have Thrown the Most Super Bowl Passes?
2014 NFL Postseason
I told you there would be lots and lots of Super Bowl related top tens this week and today is no exception. We’re going to run through the quarterbacks who have thrown the most passes in Super Bowl games. You might be surprised at how many of these guys lost. I sure was. Remember, a balanced running/passing game is very important. These results are proof.
USA TODAY Sports
1. In 1991’s Super Bowl XXVI, Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly had 58 passing attempts. The Bills ultimately lost the game to the Washington Redskins by a score of 37-24.
2. Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb threw 51 passes in 2004’s Super Bowl XXXIX. The New England Patriots ultimately beat the Eagles 24-21 in their most recent Super Bowl win.
3. In 1993, the Buffalo Bills’ Jim Kelly once again threw a whole lot of passes in the Super Bowl; 50, to be exact. Kelly and Co. lost Super Bowl XXVIII to the Dallas Cowboys, 30-13.
(3*) 4. Miami Dolphins QB Dan Marino also threw 50 passes in 1984’s Super Bowl XIX. The ‘Phins lost to the San Francisco 49ers by a score of 38-16.
5. When QB Matt Hasselbeck led the Seattle Seahawks to Super Bowl XL in 2005, he had 49 passing attempts during the game. The ‘Hawks ultimately lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers, 21-10.
(5*) 6. San Diego Chargers QB Stan Humphries also threw 49 passes when his team lost Super Bowl XXIX to the San Francisco 49ers in 1994. The final score was 49-26.
(5*) 7. When QB Peyton Manning and his Denver Broncos went to Super Bowl XLVIII just last February, No. 18 threw 49 passes. We all recall how well that went. The Broncos got beat by the Seattle Seahawks, 43-8.
(5*) 8. In 1995, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Neil O’Donnell (yeah, I barely remember him either) racked-up 49 pass attempts in Super Bowl XXX. The Steelers lost to the Dallas Cowboys, 27-17.
9. When Drew Bledsoe played for the New England Patriots in 1996’s Super Bowl XXXI, he attempted 48 passes. The Pats lost to the Green Bay Packers by a score of 35-21.
(9*) 10. In both 2003’s Super Bowl XXXVIII and 2007’s Super Bowl XLII, New England Patriots’ QB Tom Brady attempted 48 passes. 2003’s game resulted in the only win on today’s list; the final score was 32-29 over the Carolina Panthers. In 2007, though, Brady and Co. lost to the New York Giants, 17-14.
Lesson of the day? Passing does not equal Ws. Keep that in mind as we head into the biggest football weekend of the entire year.