College Football 2015: Big 12 Pre-Season Power Rankings
10. Kansas- Kansas wasn’t very good last season with their only Big 12 win coming against Iowa State. Now they return just 5 starters and have a brand new coach. I don’t see this season going well for the Jayhawks.
9. Iowa State- Iowa State was awful last year. They lost every game against Big 12 opponents. They struggled to score and could not stop anyone from scoring. This season will be a challenge to get bowl eligible.
USA TODAY Sports
8. Texas Tech- Texas Tech’s defense was atrocious last season letting up over 40 points a game. They are inconsistent on offense and have to many problems on defense. I see this carrying over into this year.
7. West Virginia- West Virginia will enter this season with a new starting quarterback, a new number 1 receiver and questionable defense. No one knows how West Virginia will be this season. The fate of their season will be how they come out of a 4 game stretch in the middle of their season against Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor and TCU. I see a 7-5 finish for the Mountaineers.
6. Kansas State- Kansas State had a good year finishing 9-4. Unfortunately I feel that they have lost too much talent to have another good year. They are going to have to replace their starting quarterback and top two receivers on a team that relied on their ability to pass the ball.
5. Texas- The Longhorns are coming off of a disappointing season finishing 6-7. They have lost some key players and return some including quarterback Tyrone Swoops. Unfortunately they have a tough schedule starting week 1 at Notre Dame. They will also go on the road to play TCU, WVU, and Baylor.
4. Oklahoma State- A 5 game losing streak killed this team in the middle of last season. Quarterback Mason Rudolph started the last two games and looked promising for this year. They have a lot of inexperience but they have some skilled players such as Rudolph that should carry them.
3. Oklahoma- The Sooners felt that they under achieved last year finishing with a record 0f 8-5. Oklahoma has yet to decide who will be the their starting quarterback and that’s a big problem. I feel that they have enough talent to make up for their lack of a quarterback.
2. Baylor- Baylor lost Bryce Petty and that will be their biggest challenge this year. Junior quarterback Seth Russell will be the starting QB. They had the best offense last year and return their running back and top 2 receivers. If Seth Russell can have a good year, Baylor could give TCU and run for their money.
1. TCU- TCU felt like they were robbed of a playoff spot last year. They are hungry for a spot in the playoffs this year and it is that edge that they have that will win them the Big 12. They also have Heisman favorite quarterback Trevone Boykin leading them. I can see them having an undefeated season earning them a spot in the playoffs.
Big 12 Overview: After the Big 12 got robbed of a playoff spot last year, look for Baylor and TCU to play with a little bit of an edge. That’s why I believe the winner of the TCU VS. BAYLOR game will decide the Conference winner. I will have to give the edge to TCU because of Trevone Boykin who is considered the front-runner for the Heisman.