College Football 2015: MAC Pre-Season Power Rankings
13. Miami Ohio- Miami Ohio finished last season with a 2-10 record. They lose their quarterback, running back, and their top receiver this year. Their defense should be good but their offense will struggle greatly. I think they will finish at the bottom of the conference again.
12. Eatern Michigan- Their offense should improve with Reginald Bell starting the whole season. Their defense was bad last year letting up over 40 points a game. They are still a rebuilding team and will face the consequences for that again this year. I expect another rough season for Eastern Michigan.
USA TODAY Sports
11. Buffalo- Buffalo has hired Lance Leipold to be their new head coach. They have a great quarterback in Joe Licata and running back Anthone Taylor. The defense only returns only 3 starters. They will have a solid offense but their defense is going to struggle.
10. Central Michigan- Central Michigan opens up with a tough schedule. Within their first 4 games they play Oklahoma State, Syracuse, and Michigan State. They have hired John Bonamego to be their new head coach. They have some talented players but the West Division is too tough this year.
9. Kent State- Kent State finished with a record of 2-9. They went 1-6 in the MAC conference play. Their defense should be good but their offense will be a problem. They were very inconsistent and I see that happening again this year.
8. Massachusetts- UMASS will rely heavily on quarterback Blake Frohnapfel who led them to have the number 1 passing offense in the MAC. Their defense returns 9 of their 11 starters on defense. If their offense can keep putting points up, UMass looks like they might be bowl eligible this year.
7. Ball State- Ball State returns 17 starters off of their 5-7 team. They are in the toughest MAC Division, which will make it hard for them. Their defense needs improvement if they want to have a shot at the West Division. I see another 5-7 season for Ball State.
6. Ohio- Ohio finished last season with a 6-6 record. Their offense should improve by returning almost every one of their starters. Their defense has a couple of missing pieces but overall Ohio should improve from last season. I think an 8-win season is possible for Ohio.
5. Akron- Akron’s offense is lead by senior quarterback Kyle Pohl. They will rely on him heavily to make this offense succeed. Akron returns six starters on defense and should improve from last season. I think a 6-6 season is how Akron will end up.
4. Western Michigan- WMU had a good season finishing 8-5, unfortunately they are in the West Division with Toledo and NIU. They are a solid offense and defensive team. Their schedule hurts them this year having to face Michigan State and Ohio State. As well has at NIU and at Toledo. They are a good team but just have to hard of a schedule.
3. Bowling Green- Bowling Green finished 8-6 last season. They went 5-3 in the MAC, but went 5-0 in their East Division. The strength of the team is their offense and they return most starters, so expect their offense to remain good. Their defense struggled last season and they lost seven starters from that team. As long as their offense continues to perform, it can carry them to another MAC East Division title.
2. Toledo- Toledo comes into this season with their eye on the MAC Championship. They will have a good defense along with a great offense. The only real question they have is who will play quarterback but they have plenty of options. Their game against NIU may decide who wins the West Division.
1. Northern Illinois- NIU is coming off another great year finishing with a record of 11-3. They have found their new quarterback in Drew Hare who is a dual threat. They have 8 starters returning on their defense. Northern Illinois should remain one of the top teams in the MAC.
MAC Overview- The West Division is clearly better then the East Division. I think three teams, NIU, Toledo and Bowling Green, will decide the MAC title. Most likely the NIU vs Toledo game will decide the West Division winner and take on Bowling Green for the Championship.