A Look at the Top Ten College Football Programs in History.
Winningest Programs in College Football History
College Football has been around for decades, with college football now being split into an FBS and FCS division. Let us take a look and see which 5 teams have had the most success in program history. Get winning College Football picks and College Football predictions for every game all season long at Sports Chat Place.
1. The Michigan Wolverines have totaled 962 wins in their program. The Wolverines first year of football came back in 1879. Michigan needed 1,344 games to get to their 962 wins. Michigan has been even better than Ohio State, having collected 42 conference championships. The Wolverines have participated in 48 bowl games. The Wolverines have been guided by several coaching legends: Fielding Yost, Bo Schembechler, and Lloyd Carr. Current coach Jim Harbaugh is attempting to bring that success back to the program year in and year out. Harbaugh has done a nice job to this point, posting 10 win seasons in 3 of 5 years, but has gone just 1-4 in bowl games.
2. The Ohio State Buckeyes have recorded 923 wins, since the university opened their football program back in 1890. The Buckeyes have played a total of 1,302 games. Ohio State has won an eye popping 39 conference championships, while having been a participant in 51 bowl games. Ohio State has been under the direction of some great coaches during their program history, a few of those coaches are: Woody Hayes, Earle Bruce, John Cooper, Jim Tressel, and Urban Meyer.
3. The Yale Bulldogs opened their doors 20 years before Alabama, as the Ivy League member played their first football game in 1872. Yale has registered 917 wins, having played a total of 1,352 games in program history. The Bulldogs have either outright won the Ivy League or have been a co-champion 16 times in school history.
4. The Alabama Crimson Tide have collected 916 wins in less opportunities than Texas. Alabama needed just 1,290 games to record 916 wins. The Crimson Tide opened their program back in 1892. Alabama has collected 27 conference championships during their existence. The Crimson Tide have also played in 71 bowl games, while playing in 4 College Football Championship games in the last 5 years.
5. The Texas Longhorns are tied with the school that sits in 4th, but for this purpose Texas sits at number 5, due to having more losses. The Longhorns first season was in 1893 and have compiled 916 wins in 1,324 games. Texas has had a nice time at the FBS level, having played in four Bowl Championship games, which includes two national championship games. The Longhorns have won 30 conference championships.
6. The Notre Dame Fighting Irish have registered 908 wins in their program history. The Fighting Irish have recorded 908 wins in 1,276 games played. The university located in BigBend, IN played its first game in 1895. The Fighting Irish have participated in 38 bowl games, while winning 19 of them.
7. The Oklahoma Sooners have won the same amount of games as Notre Dame (908), but have taken the Sooners longer to get there. Oklahoma has played 1,288 games in their program history. The Sooners have 46 conference championships to add to their accomplishments. Oklahoma has been a participant in 53 bowl games.
8. The Nebraska Cornhuskers have registered 902 wins in their program. The Cornhuskers saw their program open their doors in 1890. Nebraska has played a total of 1,337 games in their history. Nebraska has won 43 conference championships that have been spread out through 6 different conferences. The Cornhuskers have participated in 53 bowl games.
9. The Penn State Nittany Lions have collected 898 wins during their existence since 1887. The Nittany Lions have played 1,332 games to this point. The Nittany Lions have been overshadowed in the Big Ten, thanks to Michigan and Ohio State. Penn State has just 4 conference championships, while participating in 50 bowl games.
10. The USC Trojans have recorded 847 wins during their program history. The Trojans opened their doors for football back in 1888. The Trojans have been a staple in the Pac-12 for some time. USC has 39 conference championships in their program lifespan. The school has been a participant in 55 bowl games.