Who are the College Football Coaches With The most Championships?
Photo by Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports
The College Football Coaches With The Most Championsips
College Football Stats and Records
College Football has been filled with some legends who have changed the game forever. Some have been players, but a lot of the most famous people have been the coaches. Let's look at the coaches with the most championships ever.
7. Coaches with 3 Championships: Howard Jones (1928, 1931, 1932), Walter Camp (1888, 1891, 1892), Urban Meyer (2006, 2008, 2014), Tom Osborne (1994, 1995, 1997), Knute Ronke (1924, 1929, 1930), Darrell Royal (1963, 1969, 1970), Barry Switzer (1974, 1975, 1985), Pop Warner (1916, 1918, 1926), Bud Wilkinson (1950, 1955, 1956)
Nine coaches have three college football championships and are tied for seventh in history. The most recent coach to win a National Championship on this list is Urban Meyer who won his last title in 2014 with Ohio State.
5. Frank Leahy - 4 Championships (1943, 1946, 1947 and 1949)
Frank Leahy is one of the best coaches in history and led the Notre Dame Fighting Irish to a lot of success. Not only does he have four championships he has the second-best winning percentage ever sitting at .864.
5. John McKay - 4 Championships (1962, 1967, 1972 and 1974)
John McKay spent 16 years with the USC Trojans winning four National Championships. After leaving USC he went to the NFL trying his luck with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
3. Bernie Bierman - 5 Championships (1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941)
Bernie Bierman is one of the best football coaches to not be talked about enough. Bierman had two different stints with the Minnesota Golden Gophers, but all five of the Championships came during his first one.
The Gophers three-peated from 34-36 and won back to back years in 40 and 41.
3. Woody Hayes - 5 Championships (1954, 1957, 1961, 1968 and 1970)
Woody Hayes is a legend at Ohio State. Hayes was the Buckeyes coach from 1951-78 winning titles in five of those seasons. He won 13 Big Ten Titles but Buckeyes fans probably remember him best for his battles year in and year out with Bo Schembechler.
1.Bear Bryant - 6 Championships (1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978 and 1979)
The two coaches with the most National Titles both coached with the Alabama Crimson Tide. Bear’s first title with the Crimson Tide came in 1961 while his last came in 1979. Bryant changed the way coaches were looked at, and will always be known as the best ever.
1.Nick Saban - 6 Championships (2003, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2017)
The only current coach on this list is Nick Saban who has won six championships, and five of the six have come with Crimson Tide. The first tile for Saban came in 2003 when he was the LSU Tiger’s coach.