Which College Basketball Programs Have The Most National Championships?
Photo by Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports
The College Basketball Programs with the Most National Championships
College Basketball Stats and Records
College basketball has some true blue bloods that have been dominant. Let’s look at the teams with the most college basketball national titles in history.
9. Teams with 2 Championships: Louisville Cardinals (1980, 1986), Cincinnati Bearcats (1961, 1962) Florida Gators, (2006, 2007), Michigan State Spartans (1979, 2000), NC State Wolfpack (1974, 1983), Oklahoma State Cowboys (1945, 1946) San Francisco Dons (1955, 1956)
Seven teams are tied with two college basketball championships. The Louisville Cardinals actually have won three National Titles, but their 2013 title was vacated so the record books say two. The Cincinnati Bearcats and Florida Gators won titles in back to back years.
7. Villanova Wildcats - 3 Championships (1985, 2016, 2018)
Villanova has won three championships with the latest coming in 2018. The Wildcats got out to a fast start against the Michigan Wolverines and they never looked back.; 42 points in the second half for Villanova sealed the deal.
7. Kansas Jayhawks - 3 Championships (1952, 1988, 2008)
The Kansas Jayhawks have a rich history but they have only won three National Championships. The last was in 2008 and it was Mario’s Miracle to force overtime against Memphis and eventually allowed them to come away with a victory.
6. Uconn Huskies - 4 Championships (1999, 2004, 2011, 2014)
The last 25 years have been the glory years for the UConn Huskies with all four of their championships coming in that time. In 2011 it was the Huskies defense that was the difference giving up only 41 points to Butler.
4. Indiana Hoosiers - 5 Championships (1940, 1953, 1976, 1981, 1987)
The Indiana Hoosiers have won five titles, but in the last 30 plus years they haven’t figured out how to win it all. The last championship game for the Hoosiers was in 1987 with Bob Knight on the bench.
4. Duke Blue Devils - 5 Championships (1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, 2015)
The Duke BLue Devils have won five National Championships and all of them have been with Coach K in charge. The last title for Duke was in 2015, beating the WIsconsin Badgers in the National Championship game.
3. North Carolina Tar Heels - 6 Championships (1957, 1982, 1993, 2005, 2009, 2017)
North Carolina Tar Heels is one of the best college basketball programs of all time, and they have two of the best coaches in history in Roy Williams and Dean Smith. The last title for the Tar Heels was in 2017.
2. Kentucky Wildcats - 8 Championships (1948, 1949, 1951, 1958, 1978, 1996, 1998, 2012)
The Kentucky Wildcats have eight championships and check-in at second place on this list. The first title for the Wildcats was in 1948 and the last was in 2012. Anthony Davis only scored six points in the 2012 title game, but the Wildcats were still able to get the job done.
1. UCLA Bruins - 11 Championships, (1964, 1965, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1995)
The UCLA Bruins are the best program in college basketball history and it’s not really close. The Bruins have won 11 championships and ten of those came between 1964 and 1975. The last title for UCLA came in 1995.