The East Carolina Pirates and Appalachian State Mountaineers meet Saturday in week 3 college football action at Kidd Brewer Stadium. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
East Carolina Pirates Betting Preview
The East Carolina Pirates need a win after losing to Michigan and Marshall the first two weeks. East Carolina looks to avoid its first 0-3 start since the 2017 CFB season. Mason Garcia is completing 51.2 percent of his passes for 142 yards, 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. Jsi Hatfield and Jaylen Johnson have combined for 136 receiving yards on 13 catches, while Javious Bond has 3 receptions. The East Carolina Pirates ground game is averaging 124.5 yards per contest, and Garcia leads the way with 154 yards on 24 carries. Defensively, East Carolina is allowing 30.5 points and 397 yards per game. Julius Wood leads the East Carolina Pirates with 15 tackles, Teagan Wilk has 2 pass deflections and Omar Rogers has 1 pass deflection.
East Carolina Pirates Team Facts
- East Carolina has lost each of its last three games in September.
- East Carolina has covered the spread in seven of its last eight games as a road underdog.
- Four of East Carolina's last five games against non-AP-ranked teams have gone OVER the total points line.
Appalachian State Mountaineers Betting Preview
The Appalachian State Mountaineers look for their second win after losing to UNC in double overtime. Appalachian State has won each of its last 5 home games. Joey Aguilar is completing 58.9 percent of his passes for 449 yards, 6 touchdowns and 1 interception. Dashaun Davis and Kaedin Robinson have combined for 250 receiving yards and 3 touchdowns, while Dalton Stroman has 4 receptions. The Appalachian State Mountaineers ground game is averaging 184.5 yards per contest, and Nate Noel leads the way with 242 yards and 3 touchdowns. Defensively, Appalachian State is allowing 32 points and 443.5 yards per game. Nick Ross leads the Appalachian State Mountaineers with 21 tackles, Brendan Harrington has 1 sack and Jackson Greene has 1 interception.
Appalachian State Mountaineers Team Facts
- The home team has won each of Appalachian State's last 10 games.
- Appalachian State has failed to cover the spread in each of its last eight September games at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
- Appalachian State has won the first quarter in each of its last six games against non-conference opponents at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
- Appalachian State has won the first half in 12 of its last 13 games against non-conference opponents at Kidd Brewer Stadium.
- Each of Appalachian State's last seven September games at Kidd Brewer Stadium have gone OVER the total points line.
- Appalachian State ranked 5th among FBS teams for Q4 points per game last season (10.1).
- Appalachian State ranked T10th among FBS teams for Q4 win percentage last season (.667).
- East Carolina ranked T16th among FBS teams for Q1 win percentage last season (.615).
- East Carolina ranked T25th among FBS teams for Q3 points per game last season (8.2).
The East Carolina Pirates haven't had the easiest schedule through 2 games, but they show time and time again they're not capable of hanging with above average teams. Appalachian State could easily be 2-0 on the season and while the defense needs work, the offense has a balanced attack and this squad has been great at home these last few years. That ECU defense that's 99th in total defense and 104th in scoring defense will have trouble stopping the Mountaineers. App State is top-50 in total offense, passing offense, rushing offense and scoring offense. Impressive stuff through two games. I'll take App State by double-digit points.