USC Trojans (6-1) vs Utah Utes (5-1)
2023-10-21 20:00:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: USC Trojans -6.5 -- Over/Under: 55.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Utah Utes and the USC Trojans meet in week 8 college football action from Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on Saturday night.
Utah Runs Over Cal
The Utah Utes come into this game on the heels of a 34-14 win over Cal in their last matchup to improve to 5-1 on the year. Nate Johnson has thrown for 499 yards and 3 touchdowns on 54.2% passing while Bryson Barnes has 398 passing yards, a touchdown and 2 interceptions. Ja’Quinden Jackson has a team-high 333 rushing yards while Jaylon Glover has 249 rushing yards and 2 touchdowns. Mikey Matthews leads Utah’s receiving group with 21 grabs for 202 yards while three more Utes have 100+ receiving yards on the year. On defense, Sione Vaki and Cole Bishop each have a team-high 32 total tackles while Jonah Elliss has a team-high 9 sacks. As a unit, Utah’s defense has combined for 22 sacks and 7 interceptions this season.
Utah Utes Team Facts
- Utah has won 14 of its last 16 games in October.
- Utah has covered the spread in each of its last six October games as an underdog.
- Utah has won the first half in 15 of its last 20 games against conference opponents.
- Eight of Utah’s last nine games in October have gone OVER the total points line.
USC Gets Pummeled By Notre Dame
The USC Trojans come into this game looking to rebound from their first loss of the season, falling to 6-1 with a 48-20 loss to Notre Dame in their last matchup. Caleb Williams has thrown for 2,021 yards, 23 touchdowns and 4 interceptions on 70% passing while MarShawn Lloyd has a team-high 565 rushing yards with 5 TDs and Austin Jones has 190 rushing yards with 4 TDs. Tahj Washington leads USC in receiving with 25 catches for 497 yards and 5 TDs while Brenden Rice has 23 grabs for 452 yards and 8 touchdowns. Mario Williams has 234 receiving yards as well while six more Trojans have 100+ receiving yards as well on the year. On defense, Jaylin Smith has a team-high 43 total tackles while Jamil Muhammad has 6 sacks and Solomon Byrd has 5 sacks this season.
USC Trojans Team Facts
- USC has won each of its last 11 games at United Airlines Field at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
- USC has covered the spread in eight of its last nine games against AP-ranked teams at United Airlines Field at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
- USC has won the first half in five of its last six games against conference opponents at United Airlines Field at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
- USC has won the first quarter in four of its last five games against conference opponents.
- Fourteen of USC’s last 15 games have gone OVER the total points line.
- USC rank 1st among FBS teams for points per game this season (51.8).
- USC has recorded the equal-most home wins by a margin of 40+ points of any FBS team this season (2).
- Utah rank T5th among FBS teams for points allowed per game this season (11.8).
I’m looking at USC here. I think this is one of the few spots where USC’s defense and their inability to stop opposing teams may not be as much of an issue as I don’t think that Utah has what it takes to break down USC’s defense as they can’t throw the football without Cam Rising, and I’m not sitting here trying to land on a grenade trying to figure out when he’s going to play. Last week was not a good look for USC in the grand scheme of things, but a win over a ranked Utah team would definitely point things in the right direction. I just don’t think in their current state, Utah has what it takes offensively to go score for score with USC here. Give me the Trojans at home.