Fantasy Football News: NFL Preseason Week 2 Review, Whose stock is rising
Fantasy Impact of Preseason Week 2
August 20, 2013
Whose Draft Stock is Rising?
Fantasy draft days are just around the corner, and the fantasy football scouting season is half over. Here is a list of some of the most impressive performances from the 2nd week of the preseason that will have an impact on fantasy football drafts.
1. Arizona Cardinals Defense - After a shutout performance against the Green Bay Packers in week 1 of the preseason, the Cardinals Defense followed up with another spectacular show. The Cardinals Defense forced the Cowboys to commit 6 turnovers during week 2 of the preseason. That is a total of 8 turnovers and 7 points allowed through 2 weeks against good offenses. These types of performances will push the Cardinals Defense up draft boards.
Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY Sports
2. Eddie Lacy - Lacy has begun to separate himself from the other running backs being drafted in the mid-rounds. He ran strong and hard against a tough Rams Defense in the Packers second preseason game. His injury history is keeping his draft value down, but if he has a strong performance next week against a stout Seahawks Defense, then he will rocket up fantasy draft boards.
3. Torrey Smith - The Ravens offense struggled against the Falcons, but it exploded on one play. Torrey Smith made the Falcons Secondary look slow as he took a 77 yard pass to the house. Smith is being overlooked in the Fantasy Football World as he is being drafted in the later mid-rounds. Smith is a prime 3rd year wide receiver breakout candidate, and he is also catching balls thrown by one of the league's highest paid quarterbacks.
4. Tom Brady - It's amazing that Tom Brady can genuinely be listed on a "fantasy stock rising" list. But here in 2013, that is the case. For the second week in a row, Brady picked apart an opposing defense. Brady has as many incomplete passes as he has played preseason games. In the Patriots two preseason games, Brady is 18-20 for 172 yards and 2 touchdowns. Brady could end up being one of the biggest draft day steals if fantasy owners continue to overlook him on draft day.
5. Maurice Jones-Drew - MJD did not play much in the Jaguars preseason game against the Jets, but he looked strong when he was on the field. Jones-Drew had 3 rushes for 9 yards, and he caught a short pass and took it for 20 yards. With memories of AP's return to glory fresh in the minds of fantasy owners, Jones-Drew is on the verge of taking a major jump up fantasy draft boards.