Fantasy Football News and Updates: 2013 NFL Week 4 Stock Watch: Buy Low Options
Jason's Fantasy Football Analysis: Stock Watch: Buy Low Options
September 25, 2013
Stock Watch: Low Values
The 2013 fantasy football stock market is in such a volatile state that it's very hard to pull off fair trades. The running back market is the main reason for all the instability. Most of the star running backs are driving the market down, and no one wants to invest in a backup that is performing well right now. With such inconsistency from the top 20 RBs taken in drafts this year, one has to hope that a major market correction is on the horizon and these RBs rebound across the board. If the market does not correct, the 2013 season will truly be the year of the Running Back Lottery, and it's going to take very suave managing to win a championship.
Here is a quick look at players with low values heading into Week 4:
Joe Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports
1. Tom Brady - Brady is not a top 20 scoring QB at the moment, and while this has to be frustrating to fantasy owners that drafted him, it is not an unexpected situation. Since the return of Gronk is getting very close, most fantasy owners are not willing to sell Brady for a cheap price.
2. Colin Kaepernick - Kaepernick is looking like the best buy low QB at the moment, but the problem with investing in the 49ers starting QB, is that you are also investing in the 49ers receiving corp. Experts and scouts are saying Kaepernick is having trouble reading his progressions, and that is why he is struggling. But it's hard to ignore the fact that his struggles started when Vernon Davis was no longer in the lineup. Perhaps Kaepernick is not really struggling with reading his preogressions as much as he simply does not like what he sees when he scans the field. Kaepernick could be acquired on the cheap now, but that is because the 49ers as a whole are working through a very turbulent period. If the team can turn it around, then Kaep is a great bargain, but there is a huge risk with him now, and that is why his value has plummeted.
3. Eli Manning - There is really no way to describe Eli's season so far. If you are looking for a big name backup QB with potential, then go for Eli. But do not invest in Eli and then place him in your starting lineup.
It seems like everyone is down this year and its hard to beleive this list could be so long. Running Back was the most coveted commodity in fantasy football this year, and as the season has progressed, we now understand why. The problem is that so many of the running backs that earned a 1st or 2nd round investment have been out produced by their backups. If you are looking to acquire a new running back with a big name for a cheap price, here are the names to target:
Long List: CJ Spiller, Stevan Ridley, MJD, Arian Foster, Ray Rice, Frank Gore, David Wilson, Ahmad Bradshaw, Broncos' RBs, Dolphins' RBs, Green Bay's RBs.
1. Roddy White - White has been a major disappointment this year, but he is sailing on the same ship as Gronk, and fantasy owners are not going to let him go because his weak start was due to an injury. His value appears to be extremely low, but unless his owner is in a state of hysteria, don't expect to get White at the bargain price his performance so far would indicate.
2. Larry Fitzgerald - Fitzgerald has not performed to expectations so far, and after last years terrible stat line, some fantasy owners maybe getting nervous and looking to deal him. If you play in a league with someone like this, then snatch Fitzgerald up now. Most fantasy owners see Fitzgerald in the same way they see Roddy White, which means you can't get him for cheap. But if Larry is owned by a nervous nancy who can't forget last year, then make a move to get him.
3. Andre Johnson - Johnson is the big-time WR that most fantasy owners would be willing to deal on the cheap. The reason he could be had at a cheaper price is his injury history. Fantasy owners have been burned by Johnson before, so his owners may see this as a sell now opportunity before his value drops even more. If you're looking for a big time big name receiver, than target Johnson. But remember there's a reason your getting him for a reduced price: because he is has an extensive injury history.
4. Dwayne Bowe - Man oh man, no other #1 WRs value is as low as Bowe's right now. He can't be or stay this bad. If you can grab him on the super cheap than do it. He may not be a top 10 WR, but he is not this bad.
- Pass on Hakeem Nicks and Danny Amendola (unless you can get Edelman too).
For Fantasy Football News and Insights follow Jason on Twitter @TheSuperCommish