MLB News: Major League Baseball Power Rankings as of 6/16/14
Mitch Ranks all 30 Major League Baseball teams as of June 16, 2014
As of Monday June 16, 2014
Get the Latest Odds to Win the World Series See the Latest Odds
This week’s MLB Power Rankings look a lot like last week’s rankings on the surface but we definitely have some teams who have picked up their play while we have seen some of the top teams regress a little. The largest lead in any division belongs to the San Francisco Giants in the NL West with a 6.5 game lead over the Dodgers while the NL East seems to shuffle leaders on a daily basis. Here is how the teams rank for the week:
1) San Francisco Giants – The Giants relief was no relief this past weekend blowing three late inning leads and losing all three games but the Giants still have the best record.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Oakland A’s – After a horrible game on Friday the A’s got it done against the Yankees as they continue to lead the AL West.
3) Milwaukee Brewers – The Brewers haven’t gone on long streaks winning or losing, just playing consistently good enough.
4) Toronto Blue Jays – The Jays are just 4-6 I their last 10 games but they have a comfortable lead in the AL East.
5) Detroit Tigers – The Tigers are just tough to figure out and while Verlander has struggled Scherzer has found his game.
6) Los Angles Angels – The Angels are playing how many thought they would have been playing the past few years as Pujols and Trout are getting it done.
7) St. Louis Cardinals – The Cardinals have been getting it done of late and are well within striking distance of the Brewers.
8) Kansas City Royals – The Royals have won their last seven games and are the hottest team in baseball right now.
9) Atlanta Braves – The Braves are in a real dogfight in the NL East but that seems to suit them well as they are responding with strong play.
10) Los Angeles Dodgers – The most talked about team in the off-season has become one of the more forgotten teams as we approach the All Star Game.
11) Washington Nationals – The Nationals got to the lead in the NL East and have now lost their last four games.
12) New York Yankees – The Yankees played well in Seattle earlier in the week but they ended the week with a thud in Oakland.
13) Miami Marlins – The Marlins continue to do more than just hang in there and I am expecting them to be right in it until the end.
14) Baltimore Orioles – The Orioles have a losing home record and that will never get it done in the AL East.
15) Seattle Mariners – The M’s are right in the thick of things but the AL West looks to be getting tougher by the day.
16) Cleveland Indians – Not nearly as hot as they were a week ago but the Indians are still in contention.
17) Pittsburgh Pirates – The Pirates appear to have got things going in the right direction as they creep back into the mix in the NL Central.
18) Colorado Rockies – The Rockies have run hot and cold this season and right now they are hot, hot enough to sweep the Giants on the road.
19) Texas Rangers – The Rangers are hanging around but that isn’t enough to get it done in the AL West.
20) Cincinnati Reds – Mat Latos is back and this is healthier than the Reds have been all season so I am expecting their play to improve.
21) Minnesota Twins – The Twins can swing the bat but they have some fairly big issues when it cones to their lack of starting pitching.
22) Chicago White Sox – After this weekend the Sox hope they never see the Kansas City Royals ever again.
23) Houston Astros – It has been several years since the Astros have been outside of the bottom 10 but that appears to be where they are headed.
24) Boston Red Sox – This clearly isn’t the Red Sox year as they may have used uup all of their magic last season.
25) New York Mets – Another year but a lot of the same story as the Mets are awful at home; and not much better on the road.
26) Philadelphia Phillies – Jimmy Rollins passed Mike Schmidt for lifetime hits for the Phillies but other than that not a to of applause.
27) San Diego Padres – The Padres are proving it once again that you need to score runs if you want to win baseball games.
28) Chicago Cubs – The Cubs are in a building phase but we can at least see the game plan on field but it looks like the Cubs are willing to deal their best arms.
29) Arizona Diamondbacks – While the record doesn’t tell the who story, the D-backs take a step backwards for every forward step they take.
30) Tampa Bay Rays – The Rays are 13.5 games back in the AL East and while I am not one to give up, the Rays might be playing for next year.
Check out Sports Chat Place's New APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More