MLB News: NL Post-Season Standings and Wildcard Standings as of 8/4/14
Mitch's looks at the post-season playoff standings and power rankings in the NL as of August 4, 2014
MLB Post Season Rankings As Of 8/4/14
Odds to win the World Series See the Latest Odds
The past several seasons at least one division in the National League wasn’t decided until the final week of the season, this year looks to be more of the same but it could be all of the divisions. While last season it was a three-team race for the Wildcard in the NL, with one of them being the NL Central champ, this season it is much tighter with several teams competing for two spots. Here’s the latest standings:
1) Los Angeles Dodgers-The Dodgers lead the NL West by 2.5 games but they are anything but in the clear at this point.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Washington Nationals-The Nationals are starting to put a little space between them and the Braves, they will get a chance to really throw it down next weekend facing Atlanta head-to-head.
3) Milwaukee Brewers-The number of games in the Brewers’ lead is down to one but it has been up and down for months each time with Milwaukee extending it when it gets close.
4) San Francisco Giants-The Giants seem to be doing a lot of losing but they are still the top Wildcard seed in the NL and just 2.5 games out in the NL West.
5) St. Louis Cardinals-The Cardinals are in a familiar spot and while they are fighting for a Wildcard spot, they are also fighting for the NL Central title.
6) Pittsburgh Pirates-The Pirates are just a half of a game behind the Cardinals maing them just a game and a half back in the NL Central.
7) Atlanta Braves-Earlier the Braves looked like a lock for the post-season now they look like a lock not to make it.
8) Cincinnati Reds-The Reds have battled but they need Votto and Phillips if they hope to get to the post-season and they trail the leaders by 3.5 games.
9) Miami Marlins-Hats off to the Marlins who no one had contending this season. I like the marlins chances better of them being a factor next season.
10) New York Mets-The Mets have put together a nice young pitching staff and are a bat or two away from competing.
11) San Diego Padres-If the Padres opponents score more than three runs the Padres seem to be in trouble. They have arms but need to fix the bats.
12) Philadelphia Phillies-I was surprised the Phillies didn’t unload some vets at the trade deadline but maybe they just didn’t have any takers?
13) Arizona Diamondbacks-On a positive note the D-backs played much better as the season went on but they never could overcome the horrible start.
14) Chicago Cubs-The Cubs continue to trade for youth in hopes that some of these prospects pan out.
15) Colorado Rockies-The Rockies have 17 road wins this season, with teams playing 81 games on the road a year that doesn’t get it done.
Be Sure to check out my Look at the AL Standings
Check out Sports Chat Place's APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More