MLB News: AL Post-Season Standings and Wildcard Standings as of 8/18/14
Mitch looks at the post-season playoff standings and power rankings as of August 18, 2014.
MLB Baseball: American League Standings
Get the Latest Odds to Win the World Series See the Latest Odds
With about 40 games left to go in the regular season, there still isn’t clarity when it comes to the post-season in in American League. With the AL East being the least competitive right now, here are the current standings:
1) Oakland A’s- Oakland’s lead in the AL West has dwindled but the Athletics have ben on the road plenty recently.
USA TODAY Sports
2) Los Angeles Angels- The Angels let one get away on Sunday and with every game counting plenty it hurts.
3) Baltimore Orioles- The O’s are winning the games they should be winning and have been just as good on the road as they are at home.
4) Kansas City Royals-After falling short last season the Royals lead the AL Central by a game and a half.
5) Seattle Mariners- The Mariners have been in this position before but if the season ended today they would be in the playoffs.
6) Detroit Tigers (.5 games back) -The Tigers have one of the best teams on paper but on the field they are on the outside looking in.
7) New York Yankees (3.5 games back) -The Yankees aren’t done but they need to start winning now.
8) Toronto Blue Jays (4 games back) -With Encarnacion back is it too late as the Jays have slipped in the standings.
9) Cleveland Indians (5 games back) -The Indians made a run last season that landed them in the post-season, they will need for history to repeat itself.
10) Tampa Bay Rays (6.5 games back) -It is going to take an epic run for Tampa Bay to pass all of the teams ahead of them.
11) Chicago White Sox (8.5 games back) -We will head the White Sox mentioned plenty this off-season when pitchers are available.
12) Boston Red Sox (11 games back) - This season has really just been another reminder of just how hard it is to repeat.
13) Minnesota Twins (11.5 games back) –While the Twins aren’t contenders, this looks like a team that has turned the corner.
14) Houston Astros (16 games back) – The Astros have looked more promising than they have in quite some time.
15) Texas Rangers (19.5 games back) - Ron Washington has earned a pass on this miserable season where all of his best players have been or are still on the DL.
Check out Sports Chat Place's New APP in the App Store including Mitch's App Attack Pick and Much More