MLB Power Rankings: Mitch's MLB Power Rankings As of 5/21/18
Power Ranking for ALL MLB Teams For This Week
For the Week of 5/21/18
1) New York Yankees – The Yankees continue to roll and with Texas early this week I don’t see them having a lot of trouble until the Angels head to the Bronx for next weekend’s series.
2) Boston Red Sox – The Red Sox had a fairly easy draw for the week with the Orioles visiting Fenway but a quick road trip to Tampa Bay and then hosting the Braves should be a tougher week for Boston.
Jeffrey Becker-USA TODAY Sports
3) Houston Astros – The Astros haven’t hit full speed yet and they get a rematch series with the Indians at Cleveland next weekend and an early interesting interleague series against the Giants.
4) Atlanta Braves – It’s tough not to love what the Braves are doing. While many seem to be waiting for Atlanta to fall down, the Braves keep on playing sound baseball.
5) Milwaukee Brewers – The Brewers move up in the standings as they continue to gt it done on the road. If the Brewers can start winning at home and figure out the Cubs head to head they could be in business.
6) Philadelphia Phillies – The Phillies showed the could win games, tough games on the road. While the Phillies are ahead of schedule I am not 100 percent convinced just yet.
7) Seattle Mariners – The Mariners are quietly getting it done but getting it done none the less. Winning starts with beating the teams you should beat and the Mariners are doing that.
8) Pittsburgh Pirates – The Pirates are moving up in the standings but they hope they don’t see the Padres anytime soon as San Diego just seems to have their number. The NL Central is tight but the Pirates are in a nice spot.
9) Chicago Cubs – The Cubs are hitting the ball and jumping out to early leads. While we can applaud what the Cubs are doing, they still seem to only be at their best against the bottom teams in MLB.
10) St. Louis Cardinals – The Cardinals following the two teams above them just shows how tight the NL Central is right now. St. Louis struggled with the Phillies and blew some late leads as well, all at home.
11) Los Angeles Angels – The Angels continue t stay in the mix but going 3-7 in their last 10 games isn’t the way to contend in one of the tougher divisions in baseball. The Angels have never shied away from spending or dealing and expect them to go that route.
12) New York Mets – Matt Harvey is gone but the Mets haven’t found an upgrade for his spot in the starting rotation. The Mets are going to have to find an arm somewhere whether it be from within or via trade but Vargas and Matz aren’t going to help enough to contend.
13) Arizona Diamondbacks – The Diamondbacks are sinking fast and haven’t been able to stop the bleeding. Arizona is 1-9 in their last 10 games and even with the NL West teams nt playing well their lead is shrinking daily.
14) Washington Nationals – It was a tough week for the Nationals loaded with rainouts then closing it out with 3 losses to the Dodgers. The Nationals took a big drop in the standings in the NL East and in my power rankings.
15) Oakland Athletics – The A’s closed the week out with 4 wins in Toronto and that leaves them just 4 games behind the Astros in the AL West. The Athletics continue to play scrappy baseball and no one wants to see them on the schedule.
16) Colorado Rockies – The Rockies continue to lose at Coors Field and win everywhere else but with the Diamondbacks imploding in front of them they are just a half of a game back in the standings. The Rockies, as always, could use a pitcher and need the bats to get better.
17) Cleveland Indians – The Indians are leading the worst division in baseball and in any other division they would be no better than 3rd. Look for the Indians to do what they do every year, stay relevant and pour it on starting in August.
18) San Francisco Giants – The Giants are just 2 gams back in the NL West despite missing Bumgarner and Cueto. The NL West is usually decided late and expect the Giants to be in the mix.
19) Tampa Bay Rays – The Rays are 7-3 in their last 10 games and as they seem to always do, they do more with less. The Rays aren’t ready to back down from anyone despite having a payroll that suggests they can’t compete.
20) Toronto Blue Jays – Originally, I thought the Blue Jays pitchers were good enough but now I realize they aren’t. The Jays looked worse this week than they have all season no matter who took the hill.
21) Minnesota Twins – The Twins had a rough go of it against the Brewers but with the AL Central still within reach expect the Twins to hang in the race. The Twins are 2 games behind the Indians but will need to improve if they hope to win the division.
22) Los Angeles Dodgers – The Dodgers are making a move bouncing off of the ground to win their last 4 games in a row including 3 in Washington against the Nationals. With no one knocking it out of the park in the NL West the Dodgers are right in the race.
23) Detroit Tigers – No one had much as far as expectations for the Tigers this season but they have still been tough to take down. The Tigers still might be sellers when the deals start so we aren’t counting on them just yet.
24) San Diego Padres – The Padres had their way with the Pirates and despite having the worst record in the NL West they are playing the best baseball in the division. The Padres are just 6 games back so while they aren’t out of it, they can’t afford to slip up.
25) Texas Rangers – There isn’t any way to sugar coat how bad the Rangers have been this season but fortunately for them there are some teams out there even worse. The Rangers closed out another tough week losing 2 in Chicago to the White Sox.
26) Miami Marlins – The Marlins closed out the week by allowing 6 runs in the bottom of the 9thinning to lose to the Braves in Atlanta. It’s a tough year for the Marlins and they should be tossing the word “Process” around plenty.
27) Cincinnati Reds – The Reds can compete they just can’t do it on a consistent basis. Like most bad teams when the Reds have a bad inning it is bad enough that it costs them the game with no chance of recovering that day.
28) Baltimore Orioles – The Orioles are as bad as they come and while Bundy has improved, he might just be trade bait. The Orioles are diverting talk about how bad they are as Manny Machado possibly being traded has everyone’s attention.
29) Kansas City Royals – The Royals are a bad team getting worse and don’t look for it to improve soon. The Royals unloaded pieces from their World Series team and expect some others to follow at the trade deadline.
30) Chicago White Sox – The White Sox won their last two games this week but all of the talk remains on next year. The White Sox players need to remember if they don’t play better they might not be around to enjoy next year.