Who Has Been Hit By Pitch The Most In MLB History?
Photo by Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports
Ten Players Who Have Been Hit By Pitch Most In Baseball
MLB Stats and Records
Hit by pitch has become a popular topic over the last few months due to the Houston Astros getting caught cheating and many expecting retaliation. While only time will tell what takes place, there are a handful of players who spent a good portion of their career wearing imprints of baseballs. Get Free MLB Picks and MLB Predictions all season long for every game at Sports Chat Place
These are the 10 players who have been hit by the most pitches in MLB history.
1. Hughie Jennings, 287 - Hughie Jennings was hit by 51 pitches in 1896, which is a single season baseball record that may never be broken. Jennings led baseball in hit by pitch five straight years, and he was hit 202 times during that span. Jennings had more HBP for his career than doubles, triples, home runs and strikeouts.
2. Craig Biggio, 285 - Craig Biggio led baseball in HBP five times in his career and was hit by a pitch 22 or more times in six of his 20 seasons. With a small frame at just 5’11”, there’s no doubt Biggio was one of the tougher baseball players this generation has come across.
3. Tommy Tucker, 272 - Tommy Tucker was hit at least 11 times in all 13 of his seasons and led baseball in HBP five times in his career. If Tucker had a longer career by a year or two, he’d easily be at the top of this list.
4. Don Baylor, 267 - Don Baylor led baseball in HBP eight times in his 19-year career, and he had a four-year stretch where he racked up 110 HBP, which includes setting a Boston Red Sox single season record in 1986 with 35 HBP.
5. Jason Kendall, 254 - Jason Kendall is one of those big bodies who tried to get hit to get a free base, and he was hit 12 or more times in 12 of his 15 seasons. Kendall led baseball in 1998 with 31 HBP, and he holds the Pittsburgh Pirates all-time record with 177 hit by pitch.
6. Ron Hunt, 243 - Ron Hunt led baseball in HBP seven straight years between 1968 and 1974, a span where he racked up 192 hit by pitch. Hunt was hit 50 times in 1971 with the Montreal Expos, which is the second most in a single season in baseball history.
7. Dan McGann, 230 - Dan McGann was hit by a pitch at least 12 times in 10 of his 12 seasons, and he had a four-year stretch from 1898 to 1901 where he was hit by pitch 123 times. Ironically, McGann’s career high 39 HBP in 1898 didn’t lead the league because he was teammates with Jennings.
8. Chase Utley, 204 - Chase Utley led the league in HBP three straight seasons from 2007 to 2009 where he produced 76 hit by pitch. Utley was hit by double-digit pitches in 10 of his first 14 seasons, and he holds the Philadelphia Phillies HPB all-time record with 173.
9. Frank Robinson, 198 - Frank Robinson led baseball with 20 HBP as a rookie with the Cincinnati Redlegs in 1956, and he ended up leading baseball in the category seven different times overall. Robinson has been hit by double-digit pitches 10 times in his career and his 118 HBP is a Cincinnati Reds all-time record.
10. Minnie Minoso, 192 - Minnie Minoso led baseball in HBP 10 times in his career and was hit by a pitch 178 times from 1951 to 1961. Minoso once had the American League record for hit by pitch until it was broken by Baylor. Minoso and his 145 HBP is a Chicago White Sox all-time record.
Get Free MLB Picks and MLB Predictions all season long for every game at Sports Chat Place