Cleveland Guardians (49-49) vs Kansas City Royals (28-72)
2023-07-24 19:10:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Cleveland Guardians -217 / Kansas City Royals +165 --- Over/Under: 8.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Kansas City Royals and the Cleveland Guardians meet Monday in MLB action from Progressive Field. The Royals took on the Yankees this past weekend, losing the first pair by a combined 10-6 score. On Sunday Kansas City fell by three for the sweep. As for Cleveland, they were able to eke out a couple of wins in the first two games of their weekend series versus the Phillies. In the finale the Guardians couldn’t complete the sweep in a three-run defeat. Check back all season long for free MLB picks at Sports Chat Place.
Kansas City Royals
The Royals took a tough loss to the Yankees 5-4 on Friday, then fell again 5-2 in game two. KC had seven hits in that one, with Bobby Witt and Edward Olivares each notching a pair. On Sunday the Royals gave up four in the first inning during an 8-5 loss. Michael Massey managed two hits, two RBI and a homer in the loss.
It’ll be Ryan Yarbrough in the starter role for the Royals on Monday. Across his 12 games (five starts) this year Yarbrough is 2-5 with a 5.21 ERA and 23 Ks in 38.0 innings. Yarbrough gave up three earned in 5.2 innings during a loss to Detroit in his last start.
Over on the Guardians’ side, they managed a 6-5 win over the Phillies on Friday and followed that up with another tight one 1-0 in game two. Jose Ramirez had the one RBI in that victory. On Sunday Cleveland had a pretty good offensive evening on nine hits but ended up losing it on a four-run 10th inning. Steven Kwan put up a 4-for-5 outing with a homer and two RBI, while David Fry had two hits and a solo homer.
Logan Allen will take the mound for the Guardians on Monday. In his 13 starts so far Allen is 4-2 with a 3.21 ERA and 71 Ks in 67.1 innings. Allen put up 5.0 clean frames in a win over Pittsburgh during his last start.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won each of their last 11 night games against teams that held a losing record.
- The Guardians have failed to cover the run line in each of their last nine night games after going to extra innings.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Guardians’ last three games as favourites.
- The Guardians have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven night games against opponents that held a losing record.
Kansas City Royals Team Facts
- The Royals have lost 14 of their last 15 road games against American League opponents that held a losing record.
- The Royals have failed to cover the run line each of their last seven games at Progressive Field against teams that held a losing record.
- The Royals have led after 5 innings in three of their last four games as underdogs against AL Central opponents.
- The Royals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last seven games at Progressive Field against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- The Royals have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five games.
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 1st in the league for strikeouts against this season (696).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 30th in the league for home runs this season (74).
- The Kansas City Royals ranks 1st in the league for triples this season (25).
- The Kansas City Royals ranks 30th in the league for on-base percentage this season (.293).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’m staying with the Guardians. Allen is rolling along pretty well right now. He’s 1-0 in his last three starts combined with 12.2 innings, zero earned, six hits and six walks. As for Yarbrough, he’s not doing too badly himself with five earned in 17.1 innings over his last three starts, going 2-1 in that time. In Sunday’s game Cleveland didn’t necessarily have a bad pitching outing; the bullpen posted 3.0 innings, three hits, two walks and one earned run. Considering the Guardians have scored five or more runs in six of their last seven games, I think Cleveland will rebound at the plate in this opener.