Cleveland Guardians (48-49) vs Philadelphia Phillies (52-45)
2023-07-22 19:10:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Cleveland Guardians -105 / Philadelphia Phillies -116 --- Over/Under: 8
(Get latest betting odds)
The Phillies and Guardians meet Saturday in game 2 of MLB series at Progressive Field. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Phillies Betting Preview
The Phillies look to snap a 3-game losing streak and remain in the NL wild card race. The Phillies are fighting with the Reds and Marlins for the last playoff spot. The Phillies pitching staff is 13th in ERA (4.07), 7th in WHIP (1.24) and 9th in quality starts (41). The Phillies’ offense is 14th in runs per game (4.51), 8th in batting average (.258) and 20th in homers (107). Bryson Stott leads the Phillies with 111 hits and 36 RBI, while Nick Castellanos and Trea Turner have combined for 207 hits and 92 RBI. Zack Wheeler gets the ball, and he is 7-4 with a 4.04 ERA and 126 strikeouts this season. This will be Wheeler’s second career game against the Guardians.
Guardians Betting Preview
The Guardians have won 3 of their last 4 games and are only 2 games back in the AL Central. The Guardians have produced 5 or more runs in 5 straight games. The Guardians pitching staff is 8th in ERA (3.88), 15th in WHIP (1.27) and 13th in quality starts (35). The Guardians’ offense is 24th in runs per game (4.17), 14th in batting average (.252) and 30th in homers (71). Jose Ramirez leads the Guardians with 108 hits and 54 RBI, while Steven Kwan and Josh Naylor have combined for 205 hits and 108 RBI. Tanner Bibee gets the ball, and he is 5-2 with a 3.32 ERA and 77 strikeouts this season. This will be Bibee’s first career game against the Phillies.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have lost each of their last eight home games against National League opponents following a win.
- The Guardians have failed to cover the run line in eight of their last nine games against National League opponents following a home win.
- The Guardians have led after 7 innings in eight of their last 10 games as home underdogs against NL East opponents.
- The Guardians have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games as underdogs.
- The Guardians have led after 5 innings in each of their last five games.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The Phillies have lost seven of their last eight games as road favourites against American League opponents following a road loss.
- The Phillies have covered the run line in eight of their last nine games against AL Central opponents following a road loss.
- The Phillies have lost the first inning in each of their last three road games against AL Central opponents.
- The Phillies have led after 7 innings in each of their last six Saturday night games against opponents that held a losing record.
- The Phillies have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last six games against opponents that held a losing record.
Cleveland Guardians Player Prop Facts
- Josh Naylor has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Guardians’ last six night games.
- Amed Rosario has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Guardians’ last nine games against NL opponents.
- Steven Kwan has recorded two or more hits in each of the Guardians’ last five games as underdogs against NL opponents.
- Josh Naylor has hit at least one home run in three of the Guardians’ last four night games.
- Josh Naylor ranks 7th amongst qualified players for Batting Average (.310) this season.
Philadelphia Phillies Player Prop Facts
- Kyle Schwarber has hit a home run in three of the Phillies’ last four games against opponents that held a losing record.
- Zack Wheeler has recorded six or more strikeouts in each of his last four appearances.
- Bryce Harper has recorded two or more total bases in each of his last eight Saturday appearances with the Phillies as favourites.
- Kyle Schwarber has recorded at least one RBI in each of the Phillies’ last five games as favourites.
- J.T. Realmuto has recorded at least one hit in each of his 10 previous appearances with his team as a road favourite against AL Central opponents.
- Kyle Schwarber ranks T5th in the league in Home Runs (26) this season.
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 1st in the league for strikeouts against this season (672).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 30th in the league for home runs this season (71).
- The Philadelphia Phillies ranks T3rd in the league for triples this season (19).
- The Philadelphia Phillies are one of only 3 teams in the league to rank top 10 in both steals and batting average this season.
As quick as the Phillies heated up, they’ve cooled off with 3 straight losses and their pitching has taken a hit. The Guardians have played the better ball this week with wins in 3 of their last 4 tries, and they need to take advantage of home games to keep pace in the division race. You can argue Tanner Bibee has been the better pitcher this season with his 3.32 ERA compared to a 4.04 ERA from Zack Wheeler. I’ll take my chances with the Guardians at home and the cheap price.