New York Yankees (60-65) vs Washington Nationals (58-68)
2023-08-24 13:05:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: New York Yankees -158 / Washington Nationals +134 --- Over/Under:
(Get latest betting odds)
The Washington Nationals and the New York Yankees meet Thursday in MLB action from Yankee Stadium. This will be the finale in a three-game series. Washington eked out a victory in the opener, then on Wednesday the Yankees struck back with a blowout win. Check back all season long for free MLB picks at Sports Chat Place.
The Nationals held the Yankees to just two hits in the Tuesday opener of this series, eventually pulling out a 2-1 victory. CJ Abrams had a solo homer in the win, as did Carter Kieboom. On Wednesday Washington gave up six runs in the first two innings on the way to a 9-1 blowout loss. Dominic Smith posted a solo homer as the lone RBI.
In the starter role Thursday the Nationals will go with Patrick Corbin. Over his 25 starts this year Corbin is 8-11 with a 4.71 ERA and 97 Ks in 143.1 innings. Corbin is 3-1 with a 3.67 ERA over his last seven starts.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
- The Nationals have won six of their last seven games as underdogs following a loss.
- The Nationals have covered the run line in each of their last eight road games against American League opponents following a loss.
- The Nationals have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four day games against opponents that held a losing record.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Nationals’ last four day games against AL East opponents.
- The Nationals have led after 5 innings in five of their last seven games as underdogs.
New York Yankees
Over on the New York side, they had the Tuesday game tied much of the way but couldn’t pull ahead or score outside of Ben Rortvedt’s home run in the third. In game two the Yankees pulled away for good with three runs in the seventh inning. Aaron Judge blew up for three homers and six RBI to drive the offense. Harrison Bader scored two runs and had two hits as well.
The Yankees’ Michael King will take the mound for the start Thursday. King is 3-5 with a 3.26 ERA and 79 Ks this year.
New York Yankees Team Facts
- The Yankees have lost each of their last seven games against National League opponents following a win.
- The Yankees have failed to cover the run line in each of their last six games against National League opponents following a win.
- The Yankees have trailed after 3 innings in each of their last five Thursday day games against opponents that held a losing record.
- The Yankees have led after 5 innings in each of their last six Thursday day home games.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the last four day games between the Nationals and Yankees.
- The New York Yankees ranks 30th in the league for doubles this season (159).
- The New York Yankees ranks 1st in the league for opponent batting average this season (.233).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 30th in the league for home runs allowed this season (194).
- The Washington Nationals ranks 29th in the league for home runs this season (116).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’ll probably stick with the Nationals. It’s more of a value play, though; I’m likely staying away from this one in reality. That said, Corbin has been good over his last two starts, giving up just one earned run on five hits and seven walks (all in one game) across 11.0 innings. Corbin is 1-0 in that time, and if he can keep those free passes down he’ll get another win (or at least a no-decision) here. On Wednesday the Nationals were flummoxed in a return to form by Luis Severino and couldn’t find much luck at the plate overall. If the offense gets going in the finale however, I think Washington can win.