Philadelphia Phillies (95-73) vs Arizona Diamondbacks (89-78)
2023-10-16 20:07:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Philadelphia Phillies -139 / Arizona Diamondbacks +118 --- Over/Under: 7.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Arizona Diamondbacks and Philadelphia Phillies clash Monday in game 1 of the NLCS playoffs at Citizens Bank Park. Let’s preview this game and give out a pick and prediction.
Arizona Diamondbacks Betting Preview
The Arizona Diamondbacks are coming off a sweep of the Dodgers and are now 5-0 in this postseason. The Diamondbacks pitching staff has been the star so far, allowing 3 or fewer runs in all 5 games and producing 42 strikeouts in 45 innings. They say pitching wins in the postseason, and right now the Diamondbacks have to believe they belong here, even if they have the worst World Series odds of the four teams left. Offensively, Ketel Marte leads the Diamondbacks with 7 hits and 4 RBI, while Corbin Carroll and Tommy Pham have combined for 14 hits and 5 RBI. Zac Gallen gets the ball, and he was 17-9 with a 3.47 ERA and 220 strikeouts this season. Gallen is 2-0 with a 3.18 ERA and 8 strikeouts in his postseason career.
Arizona Diamondbacks Team Facts
- The Diamondbacks have won each of their last nine games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have covered the run line in each of their last 10 games against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 7 innings in each of their last seven games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 3 innings in each of their last three games as underdogs against National League opponents.
- The Diamondbacks have led after 5 innings in six of their last seven games as underdogs against National League opponents.
Philadelphia Phillies Betting Preview
The Philadelphia Phillies are coming off a 4-game series against the Braves and are 5-1 this postseason overall. The Phillies have had offensive moments in these playoffs, but their pitching staff has also been strong, posting a 1.53 ERA, 0.91 WHIP and 50 strikeouts through 53 innings. The Phillies held the Braves, the best offense in the league, to an average of 2 runs through four games. Offensively, Trea Turner leads the Phillies with 12 hits and 3 RBI, while Nick Castellanos and Bryce Harper have combined for 16 hits and 10 RBI. Zack Wheeler gets the ball, and he was 13-6 with a 3.61 ERA and 212 strikeouts this season. Wheeler is 2-3 with a 2.59 ERA and 51 strikeouts in his postseason career.
Philadelphia Phillies Team Facts
- The Phillies have lost each of their last three games as favorites against the Diamondbacks following a home win.
- The Phillies have covered the run line each of their last seven games against teams that held a winning record.
- The Phillies have led after 3 innings in each of their last five night games against NL West opponents that held a winning record.
- The Phillies have led after 5 innings in each of their last seven games against National League opponents that held a winning record.
- The ‘Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Phillies’ last six games as favorites against NL West opponents.
The Philadelphia Phillies should be favored because they’re at home and Zack Wheeler is on the mound. However, I’ve been riding the Diamondbacks and the plus money all postseason, and it has yet to fail. The Diamondbacks are 5-0 in this postseason and their pitching hasn’t blinked. Plus money with a CY Young candidate in Zac Gallen also doesn’t hurt. Gallen had a 3.47 ERA and 1.12 WHIP with 220 strikeouts this season, and he’s allowed just 4 runs in 11.1 postseason innings. In 98 at bats against current Diamondbacks, Wheeler is allowing a .276 batting average and 5 homers. We’re getting plus money with a team that hasn’t lost this postseason. Give me the Diamondbacks.