Toronto Blue Jays (70-57) vs Cleveland Guardians (60-68)
2023-08-25 19:07:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Toronto Blue Jays -160 / Cleveland Guardians +147 --- Over/Under: 8.5
(Get latest betting odds)
The Cleveland Guardians and the Toronto Blue Jays meet Friday in MLB action from Rogers Centre. Cleveland is fresh off a series versus the Dodgers, wining by five on Tuesday. In the remaining pair the Guardians lost both games in a doubleheader. As for the Blue Jays, they just finished up against the Orioles, splitting the first two games. In the Thursday rubber match Toronto lost by two runs. Check back all season long for free MLB picks at Sports Chat Place.
The Guardians posted an 8-3 win in the Tuesday opener versus the Dodgers, scoring five runs in the seventh inning alone. After a suspended game two, on Thursday when play resumed Cleveland ended up surrendering 14 hits in a 6-1 loss. In game two the Guardians were up early but ended up falling 9-3 in a sketchy showing. Gabriel Arias managed a solo homer in that one.
In the starter role for the Guardians on Friday it’ll be Tanner Bibee. This year in 20 starts Bibee is 9-3 with a 3.01 ERA and 112 Ks in 113.2 innings total. Bibee is 4-1 with a 2.47 ERA over his last seven starts.
Cleveland Guardians Team Facts
- The Guardians have won nine of their last 10 games as underdogs against the Blue Jays following a home loss.
- The Guardians have covered the run line in each of their last six games as underdogs against AL East opponents.
- The Guardians have led after 3 innings in three of their last four games as road underdogs.
- The ‘Inning 1 OVER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Guardians’ last three road games.
- The Guardians have trailed after 5 innings in each of their last eight games.
Cleveland Guardians Player Prop Facts
- Kole Calhoun has hit a home run in each of the Guardians’ last two night games.
- Andres Gimenez has recorded at least one RBI in four of the Guardians’ last five road games against AL East opponents.
- Myles Straw has scored at least one run in each of the Guardians’ last four night games against opponents that held a winning record.
- Andres Gimenez has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Guardians’ last five road games against AL East opponents.
- Jose Ramirez has recorded at least one hit in each of his last 10 road appearances against AL East opponents that held a winning record.
Toronto Blue Jays
Over on the Blue Jays’ side, they took a 6-3 win over the Orioles in the Tuesday opener then fell 7-0 in game two. Toronto was out-hit 10-5 in that one and committed three errors. In the Thursday rubber match Toronto was out-hit 10-6 in a 5-3 defeat. Brandon Belt posted a solo homer in the loss, while both George Springer and Vladimir Guerrero had one RBI apiece.
In the starter role for the Jays on Friday it’ll be Chris Bassitt. Over his 26 starts this season Bassitt is 12-6 with a 3.92 ERA and 143 strikeouts over 151.2 innings. Bassitt has gone 4-1 with a 3.21 ERA over his last seven starts.
Toronto Blue Jays Team Facts
- The underdogs have won five of the Blue Jays’ last six games at Rogers Centre.
- The Blue Jays have failed to cover the run line in each of their last eight games as favorites following a road loss.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 3 innings in four of their last six games as favorites against AL Central opponents.
- The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Blue Jays’ last three games as favorites against American League opponents.
- The Blue Jays have trailed after 5 innings in four of their last five games as favorites against American League opponents.
Toronto Blue Jays Player Prop Facts
- Brandon Belt has hit at least one home run in three of the Blue Jays’ last four games.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has recorded at least one RBI in four of the Blue Jays’ last five home games against AL opponents that held a losing record.
- Vladimir Guerrero Jr. has recorded two or more total bases in each of the Blue Jays’ last six night games against AL Central opponents that held a losing record.
- Bo Bichette has scored at least one run in five of his last six appearances against the Guardians after playing the previous day.
- Brandon Belt has recorded at least one hit in each of his last eight appearances against AL opponents.
- Bo Bichette ranks 6th amongst qualified players for Batting Average (.318) this season.
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks 1st in the league for ERA this season (3.68).
- The Toronto Blue Jays ranks 1st in the league for runs allowed this season (513).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 30th in the league for home runs this season (93).
- The Cleveland Guardians ranks 1st in the league for strikeouts against this season (897).
ANDREW’S FREE PICK
I’m going to take a stab on the Guardians. Bibee is coming off a loss to Detroit on August 19 in his last start, but he didn’t pitch terribly in that one. Bibee put up 5.0 innings with three earned the defeat, and prior to that he had just two earned over 14.0 innings for a 2-0 record. In their Thursday finale games against the Dodgers, Cleveland was a mixed bag (at best) on the mound and couldn’t get much going offensively. In game two the Guardians had 10 hits, but they were down by five runs after the fifth inning and couldn’t keep pace. Cleveland is going to need to regroup here, but if Bibee has a good start I think they’ve got a good shot at a W.