Washington Nationals (45-63) vs Milwaukee Brewers (58-50)
2023-08-02 13:05:00 EDT
The Line: Betting Odds: Washington Nationals +125 / Milwaukee Brewers -145 --- Over/Under: 9
(Get latest betting odds)
The Milwaukee Brewers and the Washington Nationals meet in the rubber match of their three-game set in MLB action from Nationals Park on Wednesday. The Brew Crew evened the series up at one win apiece on Tuesday, who comes out on top? Let’s dive in and find out.
Brewers Snap Losing Skid
The Milwaukee Brewers were finally able to get back on track, snapping their four-game losing skid with a 6-4 win over the Nationals on Tuesday. The win brought the Brewers’ record to 58-50 on the year, sitting a half game back of the Reds in the NL Central while holding onto the last Wild Card spot in the National League. Christian Yelich leads the Brewers with 114 hits, 59 RBIs and a .286 opponent batting average as well as a .370 OBP while Willy Adames comes in with a team-leading 17 home runs with Yelich just one off of the pace at 16. Yelich also leads the Brewers with 25 doubles while Adames has the unfortunate distinction of leading the Brewers with 109 strikeouts this season. Wade Miley will start for the Brewers here and is 6-1 with a 3.06 ERA and 46 strikeouts this season.
Milwaukee Brewers Team Facts
– The Brewers have lost each of their last three games as favourites against the Nationals following a road win.
– The Brewers have covered the run line in each of their last six day games against National League opponents following a road win.
– The Brewers have trailed after 7 innings in each of their last four Wednesday games as road favourites.
– The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Brewers’ last four games as favourites.
Nationals Fall Flat On Tuesday
The Nationals had a chance to win the series on Tuesday, but just couldn’t get the hits they needed late and ultimately dropped Tuesday’s matchup, falling to 45-63 on the year, 2.5 games up on the Rockies for the worst record in the National League. Lane Thomas leads the Nationals across the board with 121 hits, a .285 batting average, 16 home runs in addition to 57 RBIs while Luis Garcia and CJ Abrams each have a team-high 4 triples and Joey Meneses has a team-high 58 RBIs as well this season. MacKenzie Gore will start for the Nationals here and is 6-8 with a 4.42 ERA and 124 strikeouts this season.
Washington Nationals Team Facts
– The Nationals have won six of their last seven games as home underdogs.
– The underdogs have covered the run line in nine of the Nationals’ last 10 games at Nationals Park.
– The Nationals have led after 7 innings in six of their last seven games as home underdogs.
– The Nationals have led after 5 innings in six of their last seven games as home underdogs.
– The ‘Inning 1 UNDER 0.5 runs’ market has hit in each of the Nationals’ last five home games.
Washington Nationals Player Prop Facts
– CJ Abrams ranks T8th in the league in Steals (25) this season.
– The Washington Nationals ranks 30th in the league for home runs allowed this season (153).
– The Washington Nationals ranks 2nd in the league for strikeouts against this season (766).
– The Milwaukee Brewers ranks 28th in the league for hits this season (826).
– The Milwaukee Brewers ranks 28th in the league for slugging percentage this season (.376).
I’m leaning towards the Brewers here. I’m not loving the price, but both teams are hitting lefties well in the last couple of weeks, the difference is that the Brewers are hitting lefties slightly better and they have the better starting option here in Miley over Gore. Plus, the Brewers just have the added level of motivation of something to play for here while the Nationals are just counting the days down, and Milwaukee can ill afford to not take advantage of winnable spots like this. Give me the Brew Crew.