What's The Most Assists In A Single NBA Season?
Photo by James Snook-USA TODAY Sports
Most Assists In A Single NBA Season
NBA Stats and Records
A lot of great players tell you they’d rather get an assist than score the bucket on their own, and the assist shows high basketball IQ, gets the teammates involved and shows unselfishness on the basketball court. This list is pretty much one player, which shows his level of dominance as a passer and being the ultimate floor general. Get Free NBA Picks and NBA Predictions for every game all season long at Sports Chat Place.
Here are the most assists in a single season in NBA history.
1. John Stockton, 1,164 assists, 1990-91 - John Stockton dominates the assist list, but this was his best season and is a record that will probably never be broken. Stockton averaged 14.2 assists this season and had four games of 20-plus assists.
2. John Stockton, 1,134 assists, 1989-90 - Stockton averaged 14.5 assists per game this season, which is the best in his career. Stockton had 42 games of 15 or more assists this season.
3. John Stockton, 1,128 assists, 1987-88 - This was the first season Stockton led the league in assists, and he did it in his fourth season at 25 years old. It was the beginning of a historic stretch and an NBA Hall of Fame career.
4. John Stockton, 1,126 assists, 1991-92 - Stockton started this season with double-digit assists in each of his first nine games and he had a two-game stretch where he produced a combined 44 assists.
5. Isiah Thomas, 1,123 assists, 1984-85 - Isiah Thomas produced this total in his fourth season in the league when he was just 23 years old. Thomas averaged 13.9 assists this season and had 20 or more assists in eight different games.
6. John Stockton, 1,118 assists, 1988-89 - Stockton accomplished this total in 78 games, the third-fewest he’s played in a season, and he had single-digit assists in just nine of those contests.
7. Kevin Porter, 1,099 assists, 1978-79 - Kevin Porter led the league in assists four times, but this was his best season by far when he had 20-plus assists in nine games and had 25 assists in a game where the Detroit Pistons dropped 160 points on the Boston Celtics.
8. John Stockton, 1,031 assists, 1993-94 - Stockton had 20-plus assists just once this season, but he played all 82 games and had no fewer than seven assists. Stockton had a 10-game stretch in December of 1993 where he averaged 14.1 assists per game.
9. John Stockton, 1,011 assists, 1994-95 - Stockton had double-digit assists in 65 of 82 games this season and had 20 assists in 30 minutes in an Utah Jazz beatdown over the Philadelphia 76ers.
10. Kevin Johnson, 991 assists, 1988-89 - Kevin Johnson didn’t lead the league in assists this season because some guy Stockton was still passing the rock. Still, Johnson had 15 or more assists in 24 games this season and this total is still a Phoenix Suns singes-season record.