NBA Picks

Hornets vs Spurs Odds, Analysis 10/19/2022 NBA Prop Bets

Charlotte Hornets at San Antonio Spurs
October 19, 2022 8:05 pm EDT

The Charlotte Hornets (0-0) face the San Antonio Spurs (0-0) at AT&T Center in San Antonio. Let’s take a look at the NBA Prop Bets for Wednesday’s season opening matchup. The Hornets are favored to win at -141, currently marked as 2.5-point favorites, while the Spurs are at +120.  The total points line is set at 230.0, with OVER at -110 and UNDER at -110, meaning the implied expected score for the game is 116-114 Charlotte.

  • The Hornets (-110) had a 45-36-2 ATS record last season, while the Spurs (-110) held a record of 43-38-2.
  • The Hornets had a 40-41-2 O/U record last season (meaning 40 games went over the total points line, 41 went under and two resulted in a push). The Spurs had a 40-42-1 O/U record last season.

Scoring Insights

  • The Hornets scored 115.3 points per game last season (4th in the league). Comparatively, the Spurs averaged 113.2 (8th).
  • Defensively, the Hornets allowed a whopping 114.9 points per game last season (25th in the league), while the Spurs gave up an average of 113.0 points (23rd).

Game Style: What last year’s stats tell us

Last year’s stats are an important indicator for predicting future performance because they show how teams performed in past games. They also show how well teams did against other teams in their division and conference, which gives us an idea of how they will do against other teams in the league this year. So let’s take a look at each team’s KPIs from the 21/22 season.

Field Goal Split

  • Looking at field goal splits, 41.8% of the Hornets’ field goal attempts came from three point range (6th in the league), leaving 58.2% from two. Meanwhile, the Spurs’ opponents recorded 36.9% of their attempts from three (8th) and 63.1% from two.
  • Comparatively, San Antonio took 34.5% of shots from three (25th), leaving 65.5% from two, while Charlotte’s opponents attempted 42.9% from three (28th) and 57.1% from two.

Three Pointers

  • In terms of made three-pointers, the Hornets shot 36.5% from deep last season (6th in the NBA), compared to the Spurs who made 35.2% of their attempts (18th).
  • On the opposite end, Charlotte held opponents to 36.2% of their three-point attempts (23rd), while San Antonio’s opponents hit 36.0% of their shots (20th).

Ball Protection

  • The Hornets committed 12.7 turnovers per game last season, ranking 11th in the league, while the Spurs forced 13.0 turnovers (13th).
  • Flipping that script, Charlotte forced 14.4 turnovers (3rd), while San Antonio committed 12.3 (6th).

Rebounds

  • Charlotte recorded 44.6 rebounds per game last season (12th in the league), including 10.8 offensive boards (9th). Conversely, San Antonio’s opponents averaged 46.8 rebounds (26th), 11.4 of which came on the offensive end (29th).
  • Meanwhile, the Spurs averaged an impressive 45.3 rebounds (9th) and 11.0 offensive rebounds (7th), while the Hornets allowed 47.0 and 11.4, ranking 27th and 28th.

First Quarter Winner

Here are their first quarter records in 2021/22.

  • Total Home Road Favorite Underdog
  • Charlotte 32-46-5 19-20-2 13-26-3 14-15-1 18-31-4
  • San Antonio 40-36-7 16-20-5 24-16-2 21-9-0 19-27-7

First Half Winner

Here are their first half records in 2021/22.

  • Total Home Road Favorite Underdog
  • Charlotte 38-44-1 18-22-1 20-22-0 18-12-0 20-32-1
  • San Antonio 37-45-1 17-24-0 20-21-1 22-8-0 15-37-1

HT/FT

  • The Hornets completed the HT/FT double in 36.1% of games last season, while the Spurs completed the HT/FT double in 33.7% of games.

To Go To Overtime

  • The Hornets played in seven games that went to overtime last season, while the Spurs appeared in four.

Both Teams 110+

  • Both teams scored 110+ points in 36 of Charlotte’s 83 games last season. Meanwhile, 32 of San Antonio’s 83 games saw both squads reach that number.

Last Time These Teams Met

Charlotte recorded a 123-117 victory over San Antonio at Spectrum Center when these teams last met on March 5, 2022. Despite being on the losing side, Dejounte Murray facilitated the offense on that day, finishing with 25 points and 10 assists. The Hornets have now won three straight against the Spurs.


Related Articles

Back to top button