NBA Picks

NBA Prop Bets: Pelicans vs Nets Odds, Analysis 10/19/2022

Brooklyn Nets vs New Orleans Pelicans
October 19, 2022 7:35 pm EDT

The New Orleans Pelicans (0-0) face the Brooklyn Nets (0-0) at Barclays Center in New York. Let’s take a look at the NBA Prop Bets for Wednesday’s season opening matchup. The Nets are favored to win at -177, currently marked as 4.0-point favorites, while the Pelicans are at +150. The total points line is set at 230.0, with OVER at -110 and UNDER at -110, meaning the implied expected score for the game is 117-113 Brooklyn.

  • The Pelicans (-110) had a 45-44-1 ATS record last season, while the Nets (-110) held a record of 33-50-4.
  • The Pelicans had a 36-52-2 O/U record last season (meaning 36 games went over the total points line, 52 went under and two resulted in a push). The Nets had a 43-44-0 O/U record last season.

Scoring Insights

  • The Pelicans scored 109.3 points per game last season (21st in the league). Comparatively, the Nets averaged +3.6 more at 112.9 points (9th).
  • Defensively, the Pelicans allowed 110.3 points per game last season (13th in the league), while the Nets gave up an average of 112.1 points (18th).

Game Style: What the stats tell us

Last year’s stats are an important indicator for predicting future performance because they show strengths and weaknesses in strategy and game play. They also show how well teams did against other teams in their division and conference, which gives us an idea of how they might do today. So let’s take a look at each team’s KPIs from the 21/22 season.

Field Goal Split

  • Looking at field goal splits, 36.5% of the Pelicans’ field goal attempts came from three point range (24th in the league), leaving 63.5% from two. Meanwhile, the Nets’ opponents recorded 40.2% of their attempts from three (22nd) and 59.8% from two.
  • Comparatively, Brooklyn took 35.9% of shots from three (28th), leaving 64.1% from two, while New Orleans’ opponents attempted 41.6% from three (18th) and 58.4% from two.

Beyond the Arc

  • In terms of made three-pointers, the Pelicans shot an underwhelming 33.2% from deep last season (27th in the NBA), compared to the Nets who made 36.1% of their attempts (10th).
  • On the opposite end, New Orleans held opponents to 36.5% of their three-point attempts (26th), while Brooklyn’s opponents did it tougher, hitting 34.5% of their shots (8th).

Ball Protection

  • The Pelicans committed 13.3 turnovers per game last season, ranking 18th in the league, while the Nets forced 12.4 turnovers (T23rd).
  • Flipping that script, New Orleans forced 13.7 turnovers (9th), while Brooklyn committed 13.2 (16th).

Crashing the Boards

  • New Orleans recorded 45.2 rebounds per game last season (11th in the league), including 12.0 offensive boards (3rd). Conversely, Brooklyn’s opponents averaged 44.1 rebounds (15th), 11.3 of which came on the offensive end (27th).
  • Meanwhile, the Nets averaged 44.4 rebounds (13th) and 10.3 offensive rebounds (14th), while the Pelicans allowed 41.8 and 9.3, ranking 3rd and 1st.

First Quarter Winner

Here are their first quarter records in 2021/22.

  • Total Home Road Favorite Underdog
  • New Orleans 36-52-2 16-28-1 20-24-1 10-15-0 26-37-2
  • Brooklyn 46-38-3 24-19-1 22-19-2 34-22-1 12-16-2

First Half Winner

Here are their first half records in 2021/22.

  • Total Home Road Favorite Underdog Last 10
  • New Orleans 35-53-2 17-27-1 18-26-1 12-13-0 23-40-2
  • Brooklyn 46-39-2 26-18-0 20-21-2 33-23-1 13-16-1

HT/FT

  • The Pelicans completed the HT/FT double in 28.9% of games last season, while the Nets completed the HT/FT double in 34.5% of games.

To Go To Overtime

  • The Pelicans played in three games that went to overtime last season, while the Nets also appeared in three.

Both Teams 110+

  • Both teams scored 110+ points in 22 of New Orleans’ 90 games last season. Meanwhile, 29 of Brooklyn’s 87 games saw both squads reach that number.

Last Time They Met

Brooklyn recorded a 120-105 victory over New Orleans at Barclays Center when these teams last met on January 15, 2022. James Harden was immense on that day, recording a 27-point, 15-assist double-double. The Nets have now won seven straight against the Pelicans.


Related Articles

Back to top button