Top Ten NFL Single-Game Rushing Leaders
Learn About the NFL's Single-Game Rushing Leaders
2014 NFL Off-Season
Bet you can’t guess what topic we’re ending this week with. Single game rushing leaders, you said? You got it. Almost half of the players on today’s list are currently active, so they could shatter their own records at any time. Makes this one of the most exciting all-time leaders lists we’ve looked at so far if you ask me.
USA TODAY Sports
1. Adrian Peterson holds today’s No. 1 spot by the giant margin of 1 yard. Yup. 1. On November 4, 2007, A.D. rushed for 296 yards when his Minnesota Vikings took on the San Diego Chargers.
2. Four years prior, on September 14, 2003, the Baltimore Ravens’ Jamal Lewis rushed for 295 yards against the Cleveland Browns. Ironically, Lewis spent the latter part of his career in Cleveland.
3. On December 20, 2009, the Cleveland Browns' Jerome Harrison rushed for 286 yards against the Kansas City Chiefs.
4. During the Cincinnati Bengals’ 2000 campaign, Corey Dillon rushed for 278 yards against the Denver Broncos on October 22.
5. Walter Payton, one of the most famed RBs in the history of the league, rushed for 275 yards when his Chicago Bears battled the Minnesota Vikings on November 20, 1977.
6. Just a year before Payton set his record, the Buffalo Bills’ O.J. Simpson rushed for 273 yards against the Detroit Lions. The date of the game was November 25, 1976.
7. Shaun Alexander, who’s one of the reasons I’ve always had a little bit of a thing for RBs, was a childhood favorite of mine. On November 11, 2001, Alexander rushed for 266 yards when his Seattle Seahawks played the Oakland Raiders.
8. On January 3, 2010, the Kansas City Chiefs Jamaal Charles rushed for 259 yards against his team’s division rivals, the Denver Broncos.
9. DeMarco Murray, RB for the Dallas Cowboys, rushed for 253 yards when the ‘Boys took on the St. Louis Rams on October 23, 2011.
10. Mike Anderson, who played in the NFL for a relatively short 7 years, rushed for 251 yards when his Denver Broncos played the New Orleans Saints on December 3, 2000.
(10*) 11. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB, Doug Martin, rushed for 251 yards against the Oakland Raiders on November 4, 2012 (it’s of note that this was Martin’s rookie season.) Atta boy.