Top Ten Most 4th Quarter Comebacks (By NFL Quarterback)
See If Your Favorite QB Has The Most Comeback Victories in NFL History
2014 NFL Off-Season
Most fans would argue that quarterbacks are the most important players on NFL teams. Without a solid QB, even the best receiving corps on earth isn’t likely to put-up a lot of Ws. Yesterday’s list focused on major comebacks, the majority of which were spearheaded by QBs. Today, we’re going to break down the top ten QBs with the most 4th quarter comebacks in NFL history.
1. In Peyton Manning's 16 NFL seasons, he’s had 40 4th quarter comeback wins, the majority of which came during his time with the Indianapolis Colts (remember the Monday Night Miracle?), but Manning has already had 5 comeback wins in 2 seasons as a Denver Bronco.
2. Dan Marino, who played 17 seasons with the Miami Dolphins (but never got a Super Bowl ring…not to rub it in), had 36 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives over the course of his career.
3. During John Elway's 16 seasons as a Denver Bronco, he engineered 35 4th quarter comebacks for the team. Now that the torch has been (in a rather indirect fashion) passed to No. 18, Elway’s tradition continues.
4. Tom Brady, who already has 14 NFL seasons under his belt, had led his New England Patriots to 31 4th quarter comeback wins.
(4*) 5. Joe Montana, whose career spanned 3 different decades (from 1979-1994), also led his teams to 31 4th quarter victories. Montana played 13 years of his career with the San Francisco 49ers, but spent the final 2 on the Kansas City Chiefs’ roster.
6. Fran Tarkenton (who I maintain Johnny Manziel does not resemble) played in the NFL for 18 years, leading his teams to 30 11th hour wins. Tarkenton spent 13 seasons with the Minnesota Vikings, then 5 seasons with the New York Giants.
(6*) 7. Brett Favre, who famously spent 16 years with the Green Bay Packers (then hopped around from the Vikings, to the Falcons, to the Jets for 4 years) also had 30 comeback victories over the course of his lengthy (and illustrious) career.
8. During Vinny Testaverde's time with nearly 1/4 of the teams in the league, he racked-up 29 4th quarter comebacks. At various points in time, Testaverde’s name appeared on the rosters for the Jets, the Buccaneers, the Browns, the Ravens, the Panthers, the Cowboys, and the Patriots.
9. In 17 years as a Baltimore Colt (and a single year as a San Diego Charger), football great Johnny Unitas had 27 comeback victories in the 4th.
10. Warren Moon, who spent time with the Houston Oilers, the Minnesota Vikings, the Kansas City Chiefs, and the Seattle Seahawks, rounds-out today’s top ten list with 26 career 4th quarter comeback victories.