Top Ten NFL Postseason Rematches
Has Your Team Had One of the Best Postseason Rematches in NFL History?
2014 NFL Season
Happy Monday, y’all! It’s a good one for Colts Nation, even if my high school could probably manage to soundly beat Jacksonville. It’s the principle of the thing. Hopefully you’re not a Broncos fan today, though. Talk about a heartbreaker. Speaking of which, Super Bowl rematches during the following regular season are insanely rare. Like, it’s happened 6 times ever including yesterday kind of rare. Today, we’re going to take a look at the top ten post-season rematches the league has seen. We start, of course, with those six.
USA TODAY Sports
1. The Kansas City Chiefs defeated the Minnesota Vikings 23-7 in Super Bowl IV. The following season, the Vikes got it together and beat KC 27-10.
2. In Super Bowl XI, the Oakland Raiders also beat the Minnesota Vikings with a score of 32-14. The next regular season, the Raiders still emerged victorious, 10-3.
3. The Pittsburgh Steelers rather narrowly won Super Bowl XIII with a score of 35-31 over the Dallas Cowboys. The following season, Pitt once again got the W, with a score of 14-3.
4. In Super Bowl XXVII, the aforementioned Dallas Cowboys actually won big time, crushing the Buffalo Bills 52-17. The next season, the Bills took care of business, beating the Boys 13-10. Talk about improving your D.
5. Super Bowl XXXI featured the Green Bay Packers and the New England Patriots. The Pack won 35-21 in that match-up and 28-10 the following regular season.
6. Yesterday’s Super Bowl XLVIII rematch featured, obviously, the Seattle Seahawks and the Denver Broncos. Seattle’s D (and the 12th Man) still proved to be too much for Peyton Manning’s Broncs to handle, ultimately winning 26-20 in OT. Nonetheless, No. 18’s last minute (literally) drive to tie the game should go down as one of the best of this season.
7. Last year’s Wild Card round rematch between the Indianapolis Colts and the Kansas City Chiefs ended up being the most memorable game I’ve ever watched my boys in blue play. After being down by 28 points at the half, the Colts rallied, ultimately winning 45-44. This happened just one week after Andrew Luck and Co. smoked the Chiefs at Arrowhead during the regular season.
8. The 2013 play-offs also saw another great regular season rematch between the surging San Diego Chargers and the Cincinnati Bengals, who have yet to win a play-off game in Andy Dalton’s tenure. While the Bengals won the teams’ regular season match-up on December 1, the Bolts won the game that really mattered 27-10.
9. In 1969, the Cleveland Browns lost to the Minnesota Vikings 51-3 in the regular season. The Brownies went on to beat the Vikes 27-7 in their postseason rematch.
10. The 1991 play-offs featured another shocking turnaround, this time by the Washington Redskins. The ‘Skins lost to the Detroit Lions 45-0 during the regular season. When it mattered, though, the Redskins won 41-10.