NFL News: NFL Power Rankings For Week 5 As Of 10/1/14
NFL Power Rankings
October 1, 2014
The Line: See the Latest Odds
As we enter week five of the 2014 NFL season, here are how the power rankings stack up.
1. Seattle Seahawks - The Seattle Seahawks have had a week to get their heads together before playing Washington on Monday night. This is a potential trap game for the Seahawks with the Dallas Cowboys on deck a week later.
USA TODAY Sports
2. Cincinnati Bengals - Andy Dalton and the Cincinnati Bengals are really starting to grow on me with a 3-0 start. Cincy can create a few more believers with a win against the New England Patriots on the road.
3. Denver Broncos - The Denver Broncos only loss came against the Seattle Seahawks in overtime. As if you needed to be told Peyton Manning and his guys are still one of the best in the league.
4. Arizona Cardinals - We’ll find out just how good the Cardinals are this week when they play the Denver Broncos. Still, I really like what Arizona is working with and that defense is no joke.
5. San Diego Chargers - The San Diego Chargers are going to be beating up on weak competition the next couple of weeks, but Philip Rivers is playing out of his mind and that win over the Seattle Seahawks still means something.
6. Philadelphia Eagles - I’m still not sure how the Philadelphia Eagles didn’t call a running play when they had two shots to punch the ball in from the one-yard line. Either way, the Eagles held their own against one of the best in the NFL and still have the best offense in the league.
7. Baltimore Ravens - I’m not sure what has gotten into the Baltimore Ravens lately, but they’re an angry team with a point to prove. Dropping 38 points on the Carolina Panthers is saying a lot about what Baltimore is capable of.
8. Indianapolis Colts - This week’s game against the Baltimore Ravens will tell us just how good the Indianapolis Colts really are after a slow start. Andrew Luck has eight touchdown passes in his last two games.
9. Detroit Lions - The Detroit Lions moved the ball up and down the field against a great New York Jets defense without a healthy Calvin Johnson. People also don’t realize that the Lions have the best defense in the NFL statistically.
10. Dallas Cowboys - Remember when the Dallas Cowboys were left for dead? It’s amazing what a blowout win over the New Orleans Saints can do for a team.
11. Green Bay Packers - Aaron Rodgers told Green Bay Packers fans to relax, and he responded with a blowout victory over the Chicago Bears. The Packers have won six straight when Rodgers throws two or more touchdowns.
12. Chicago Bears - Despite getting beat up by the Green Bay Packers, the Chicago Bears are still a tough team to beat when Jay Cutler is actually taking care of the football. That wasn’t the case last week.
13. Atlanta Falcons - Allowing 41 points to the Minnesota Vikings is inexcusable for the Atlanta Falcons. The only reason the Falcons are here is because there are even more concerns with the teams below them.
14. San Francisco 49ers - We knew it was only a matter of time before the San Francisco 49ers turned things around. There’s still issues with this 49ers team but a win over the Philadelphia Eagles is a huge step in the right direction.
15. New Orleans Saints - The New Orleans Saints have some major concerns, as their road issues continue to haunt them. The good news is the New Orleans plays in the dome, which should get them back on track.
16. Kansas City Chiefs - All of a sudden, the Kansas City Chiefs have won two straight games and have their eyes set on a possible playoff spot. KC is slowly starting to look like the team that got hot last season.
17. New England Patriots - Is it safe to say that the New England Patriots are no longer a threat to some of the better teams in the league? At this point, the Patriots are an automatic fade until further notice.
18. Pittsburgh Steelers - The bad news is that I can’t figure out the Pittsburgh Steelers to save my life. The good news is that a running back duo of LeGarrette Blount and Le'Veon Bell is getting the job done.
19. Carolina Panthers - The Carolina Panthers have allowed a combined 75 points in their last two games. Um, where’s that elite defense that we saw all of last season?
20. Miami Dolphins - The Miami Dolphins took the Oakland Raiders behind the woodshed last week. We’ll find out if Ryan Tannehill and company can keep the momentum going in a couple of weeks against the Green Bay Packers.
21. Minnesota Vikings - Given the circumstances, the Minnesota Vikings continue to hold their own against top competition and a blowout win over the Atlanta Falcons has the rest of the league on high alert.
22. New York Giants - Can the real New York Giants please stand up? The NYG will tell us a lot this weekend against the Atlanta Falcons.
23. Cleveland Browns - The Cleveland Browns have lost their two games this season by a combined five points. Who would have thought a rookie backfield of Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West would be so productive?
24. New York Jets - The New York Jets have a defense that can go toe-to-toe with anybody, but it’s pretty clear Geno Smith is not the answer. New York fans would love to see Michael Vick any time now.
25. Houston Texans - The Houston Texans have beaten up some pretty bad teams but wins are wins, I guess. The Texans will tell us a lot this weekend against the Dallas Cowboys.
26. Washington Redskins - It wasn’t that long ago when the Washington Redskins looked like they could make a run at the NFC East title. A few Kirk Cousins interceptions can change things in a hurry.
27. Buffalo Bills - Will the Kyle Orton switch really make the Buffalo Bills a better team? Only time will tell.
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers picked up the biggest upset so far with a win over the Pittsburgh Steelers. A trip to New Orleans this week will ruin Tampa’s celebration quickly.
29. St. Louis Rams - The St. Louis Rams are no longer getting those big plays from their defense, which is ranked 30th against the run. A matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles is sure to get ugly.
30. Tennessee Titans - The Tennessee Titans have allowed a combined 100 points in their last three games. Yeah, it’s tough to win when that’s the case.
31. Jacksonville Jaguars - The only positive news for the Jacksonville Jaguars is that Blake Bortles is giving the offense a spark. Unfortunately, Bortles has also thrown two picks in each of his two games.
32. Oakland Raiders - The Oakland Raiders took the first step in getting help by firing head coach Dennis Allen. Only 35 more steps to go before the Raiders become relevant again.