Top Ten Most AFC Championship Game Appearances By Team
Which AFC Teams Have Gone to the Championship the Most Times?
2014 NFL Postseason
With championship Sunday fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to take a look at the top ten most AFC Championship game appearances among all of the teams in the conference. Don’t worry, NFC fans, we’ll look at your clubs on Monday (updated with Sunday’s results, of course). Also, fun fact of the day: all 49 Super Bowls to date have included some combination of the same 19 teams.
USA TODAY Sports
1. The Pittsburgh Steelers, who have more Lombardi trophies than anyone, have been to 15 AFC Championships. The Steelers have and 8-7 record.
2. The Oakland Raiders (whose stadium I’m excited to visit tonight) have gone to 11 AFC Championship games. They have, sadly for Raiders Nation, gone 4-7 in those appearances.
3. The New England Patriots have made 10 AFC Championship game appearances, winning an impressive 7 of them. The Pats will try to add win number 8 on Sunday in their 10th game. I’m shaking in my Nikes. No, that’s not sarcasm.
4. The Denver Broncos have played in the AFC Championship 9 times, also winning 7 of the contests. Their Super Bowl record, though? Not so stellar.
5. The Miami Dolphins have been to the AFC Championship match-up 7 times, going 5-2 all time.
6. The Indianapolis Colts have appeared in 6 AFC Championship games, going 3-3. On Sunday, the Colts will make their 7th appearance in the penultimate game of the year.
7. The Buffalo Bills have gone to the AFC Championship on 5 occasions, tallying an amazing 4-1 record. Let’s see if Rex Ryan can deliver on his promise to get them back into the postseason. I have some…reservations…that we’ll address this offseason.
8. The Baltimore Ravens have racked-up 4 AFC Championship appearances with a 2-2 record.
(8*) 9. The Tennessee Titans have also been to the AFC Championship 4 times (including their days as the Houston Oilers). The team only has a 1-3 record.
(8*) 10. The San Diego Chargers have also gone 1-3 in their 4 AFC Championship showings.
(8*) 11. The worst of today’s top ten? Er, eleven. The New York Jets. The J-E-T-S have gone 0-4 all-time when they’ve appeared in the AFC Championship.