Top Ten Most NFL Super Bowl Sacks
Which Players Have Had the Most Sacks in Past Super Bowls?
2014 NFL Postseason
Today’s top ten is a little different than usual. We’re actually going to look at two top fives that are intrinsically related to one another. Sacks, as we all know, are critical when it comes to disrupting NFL offenses’ momentum. In the Super Bowl, sacks become even more important than they are the rest of the year. This Super Bowl weekend eve, we’re going to look at the players who have had the most sacks in single Super Bowl games and over the course of all the Super Bowls they played in.
USA TODAY Sports
Most Sacks in Single Super Bowl Match-Ups
1. Pittsburgh Steelers DE L.C. Greenwood had 4.0 sacks in Super Bowl X in 1975. The QB he got a piece of? The Dallas Cowboys’ Roger Staubach.
2. Green Bay Packers DE Willie Davis sacked Oakland Raiders QB Daryle Lamonica 3.0 times in 1967’s Super Bowl II.
(2*) 3. Arizona Cardinals DT Darnell Dockett (an especially familiar name in Super Bowl XLIX’s host city) had 3.0 sacks when his club played Ben Roethlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2008’s Super Bowl XLIII.
(2*) 4. Famed DE Reggie White sacked the New England Patriots’ Drew Bledsoe 3.0 times when the Green Bay Packers played in Super Bowl XXXI in 1996.
5.DT Tom Keating, playing for the Oakland Raiders, sacked the Green Bay Packers’ Bart Starr 2.5 times in Super Bowl II. Clearly that game was a sack-heavy affair.
Most Sacks in Multiple Super Bowls
1. The Steelers’ L.C. Greenwood leads-off again with 5.0 total sacks in his Super Bowl career. In addition to the 4.0 he had in Super Bowl X, Greenwood got one more sack in Super Bowl XIII.
2. Green Bay Packers great Willie Davis once again takes the No. 2 spot, with 4.5 total Super Bowl sacks. Davis had the aforementioned 3.0 sacks in Super Bowl II and another 1.5 sacks in Super Bowl I.
(2*) 3. In 4 Super Bowls appearances with both the Dallas Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers, LB/DE Charles Haley had 4.5 sacks. The breakdown is 2.0 in Super Bowl XXIII, 1.0 in Super Bowl XXVII, 0.5 in Super Bowl XXVIII, and 1.0 in Super Bowl XXX.
4. New York Giants DE Justin Tuck has had 4.0 Sacks in 2 Super Bowls. Tuck racked-up 2.0 in Super Bowl XLII and 2.0 in Super Bowl XLVI.
(4*) 5. The Dallas Cowboys’ DT Randy White also had 4.0 sacks in his 3 Super Bowl appearances. White had 2.0 sacks in Super Bowl X, 1.0 in Super Bowl XII, and 1.0 in Super Bowl XIII.