Top Ten Longest Punts of the 2014 NFL Season
Which NFL Punters Had the Longest Punts in 2014?
2015 NFL Offseason
It’s Monday, which means nobody wants to be up, so we’re going to take it easy and look at something that doesn’t require a whole lot of thought. We’ll continue last week’s look at 2014 NFL stats with a breakdown of the top ten longest punts of the season. Sorry, Colts fans, our boy, Pat McAfee actually isn’t featured. But nobody else on this list has kicked a soccer ball at 124 MPH, so we’ve got that going for us.
USA TODAY Sports
1. During the Tennessee Titans second match-up against the Indianapolis Colts, P Brett Kern kicked a 79-yard punt that blew his previous efforts out of the water. At least someone from the Titans squad had a good game that day.
2. When the Washington Redskins lost big to the New York Giants on Thursday Night Football, P Tress Way logged an impressive 77-yard punt during the game. Nobody in Washington seems to be able to make a decision about anything, but signing this kid was apparently a good call.
3. The Pittsburgh Steelers P Brad Wing kicked a 74-yard punt during the 2014 season.
4. P Brad Koch, who the Baltimore Ravens are glad to have on their roster, had a 73-yard punt during a November game against the New Orleans Saints.
5. San Diego Chargers P Mike Scifres kicked a career-high 72-yard punt in 2014 before injuring himself in early December. Not good news for the Bolts.
(5*) 6. The Carolina Panthers P Brad Nortman also nailed an impressive 72-yard punt in 2014.
7. Detroit Lions P Sam Martin had a 71-yard punt during a December game. That was just one-yard short of Martin’s career-high.
(7*) 8. P Steve Weatherford, who plays for the New York Giants, also had a 71-yard punt last season.
(7*) 9. San Francisco 49ers P Andy Lee joins the 71-yard club with a punt he kicked during a late October game.
(7*) 10. Ending today’s list, also with a 71-yarder, is Houston Texans P Shane Lechler. The punt set a franchise record for the relatively young club.