Top Ten Best Third Down NFL Teams in 2014
Which NFL Teams Had the Most Third Down Conversions in 2014?
2015 NFL Offseason
Third downs are among the most exciting aspects of the game of football. Don’t tell me you don’t get a little bit of a thrill every time your team converts on a critical third down play. Today, we’re going to look at the top ten best third down conversion teams in the NFL during the 2014 season. Tomorrow, we’ll take a look at the worst (as if you couldn’t have guessed).
USA TODAY Sports
1. The New Orleans Saints (who had surprisingly good stats for such a debacle of a season) converted on 48.28% of their third downs last year.
2. The Dallas Cowboys had a 47.09% third down conversion percentage.
3. The Green Bay Packers converted on 46.67% of their third downs during the 2014 season.
4. The New England Patriots, who went on to win Super Bowl XLIX, had a 46.22% third down conversion rate.
5. The San Diego Chargers missed the play-offs last year, but they did have a 45.12% third down conversion percentage during the regular season.
6. The Atlanta Falcons, now under new leadership, converted on 44.29% of their third down attempts in 2014.
7. The Pittsburgh Steelers had a 43.75% third down conversation rate, which is pretty par for the course for them.
8. The Seattle Seahawks couldn’t quite pull-off two Super Bowl wins in a row, but they rocked the regular season with a 43.57% third down conversion rate.
9. The Philadelphia Eagles will look completely different in September, so it’ll be interesting to see if they can maintain their 43.57% third down conversion percentage.
10. The New York Giants, despite their woes, managed to convert on 42.98% of their third downs last year.